Oppose Obama for the right reasons

Pictures like this one, and others of Sen. Obama sporting turbans or crescents, circulate in cyberspace along with e-mails warning us that Obama is really a Muslim. As a conservative, as a Christian, and as a Republican, I am deeply embarrassed by this sort of thing, and wish fervently that it would stop.

I oppose Barack Obama’s candidacy because I disagree with just about every policy position he has put forward, and because those positions seem to me underpinned by an essentially Marxist worldview. I oppose him because of his leftist views, which he espouses openly, and that is reason enough. We don’t need to go digging into his grammar school records in Indonesia in order to find reasons not to vote for him, and doing so only makes his critics look desperate and bigoted.

Comments 11

  1. Dan wrote:

    The idea that Obama is a Marxist is just as laughable as the idea that he’s a Muslim. If you truly believe it you might want to research Marxism itself and look at who Obama’s economic advisers actually are and what his economic platform actually is. Obama is clearly an economic moderate and would be considered a right winger in any social-democratic country in Europe, which are themselves far to the right of Marxists.

    Republicans have a long history of trying to conflate Democrats with Marxism when in fact no Democratic presidential nominee ever has been anything but a free market capitalist. Calling Democrats (particularly moderates such as Obama as opposed to someone like, for example, Dennis Kucinich) Marxists is exactly as stupid as calling Republicans Fascists.

    The difference is a matter of degree, Democrats tend to believe that capitalism needs oversight while Republicans tend to believe that markets work better with less regulation. History has proven that the best option is somewhere in the middle, as we’ve seen over-regulation stifle the economy at times and we’ve seen complete lack of oversight lead to economic disasters like the stock market crash of 1929 and our current crisis with sub-prime lending.

    If you’re intellectually honest enough to admit that Obama is clearly not a Muslim you really ought to be honest enough to admit that he’s not a Marxist/Communist/Socialist either. If you have problems with his economic policies you should probably debate them directly instead of trying to conflate them with a failed economic system that they have nothing in common with.

    Posted 25 Jul 2008 at 2:51 pm
  2. Brigette Russell wrote:

    Dan, I have researched Marxism, and understand its tenets. You, my dear sir, are conflating Marxism with Soviet-style Stalinism, as so many people do. Marxism as a theory (as opposed to Soviet practice under Stalin) holds that the socioeconomic structure is the base upon which all else (politics, culture, etc.) rests. Obama’s glib remark about how people in rural Pennsylvania cling to guns and God because they’re struggling economically well illustrates his basically Marxist worldview. He isn’t a Stalinist who wants nationalized industries (though Maxine Waters and some other Democrats in Congress apparently are, and do) but his view of society is colored by Marxist theory in that he views economics as the base and cultural beliefs as the superstructure springing from that base.

    By the way, I have a M.A. in political science from U.C. Berkeley, and my main area of study was the Soviet Union and other Communist states, along with Marxist theory. In future, I’d advise you to be more careful to get your facts straight before you lecture people.

    Posted 28 Jul 2008 at 3:58 pm
  3. Dan wrote:

    Moralia,

    I’ve read several of your posts and your use of your MA as a crutch is tiresome. You have a degree in political science – that’s great. You apparently do understand that Marxism is different than Leninism – that’s also great. You take Obama’s statement about clinging to religion/guns as being an indicator of Marxist beliefs – that’s unsupported and unsupportable.

    I realize this is a blog and not an academic paper but you might at least try to support your statements beyond proclaiming Obama a Marxist. Otherwise, I would be equally valid in proclaiming Bush a Fascist – after all, he has intertwined corporations with government. See how easy that was? I don’t need to support my statement either, right?

    Obama is not a Marxist and if you have any ability to think in a non-partisan way you’ll realize that. He is a free-market capitalist of a slightly less Laissez-Faire strain than the current GOP platform.

    Posted 28 Jul 2008 at 5:07 pm
  4. Bowden Russell wrote:

    Dan said,

    “If you’re intellectually honest enough to admit that Obama is clearly not a Muslim you really ought to be honest enough to admit that he’s not a Marxist/Communist/Socialist either”

    He may very well be a muslim. He did attend a madraas in Indonesia, although he denies it and his half-brother confirms it, and did go in 1981 to Kariachi, Pakistan to attend another muslim school. From the NYT:

    According to the report of Larry Rohter of April 10, 2008, in The New York Times, the Obama campaign staff, when questioned about the revelation of Obama’s 1981 trip to Karachi, stated: “Mr. Obama visited Pakistan in 1981, on the way back from Indonesia, where his mother and half-sister, Maya Soetoro-Ng, were living. He spent ‘about three weeks’ there, Mr. Obama’s press secretary, Bill Burton, said, staying in Karachi with the family of a college friend, Mohammed Hasan Chandoo, but also traveling to Hyderabad, in India.”

    So why does Barack Hussien Obama deny his connections to his muslim past? What is it he is trying to hide? And did you know that HIS Rev. Wright is also a “former” Muslim? Hmmmm….lots of “former” muslims around Barack.

    So the real question is Dan, are you intellectually honest enough to admit that Obama is hiding something from his muslim past/present?

    Posted 29 Jul 2008 at 3:39 am
  5. Dan wrote:

    Jesus Christ.

    Prove to me that John McCain was not brainwashed by the Vietnamese during his long stay at the Hanoi Hilton, which he chose to extend voluntarily. Surely he is the Manchurian Candidate.

    Obama doesn’t “deny his connections to his ‘Muslim’ past,” he wrote a whole book about it. Visiting a college friend makes him a Muslim? Going to a secular elementary school in the country his family lived in as a child makes him a Muslim? Having a middle name that means “Peace” in Arabic makes him a Muslim?

    Why am I even bothering to argue with someone so dumb that they actually believe that Obama is a Muslim? Forget it. You win, vote against the guy and then spend the next four or eight years bitching about how the president is a secret Muslim.

    Its interesting to see that we have two members of apparently the same family that believe that Obama is either a Muslim (and therefore presumably a Theocrat) or a Marxist (and therefore presumably an Athiest.)

    What ever happened to reason in this country? I’d love to blame Karl Rove but I’m pretty sure its been dead since 1960.

    Posted 29 Jul 2008 at 5:20 pm
  6. Steve wrote:

    I found this post by way of Mario Burgos’s site, and I agree with him that it is a particularly good one. This post was written with the voice of reason, and the comments from both Dan on the left and Bowden on the right stand in stark contrast to the original post.

    Posted 30 Jul 2008 at 1:00 pm
  7. Dan wrote:

    I’m amused that declaring Obama a Marxist and backing it up with… no evidence whatsoever strikes you as a reasonable, centrist position to hold Steve.

    Posted 30 Jul 2008 at 2:02 pm
  8. Bowden Russell wrote:

    “I’m amused that declaring Obama a Marxist and backing it up with… no evidence whatsoever strikes you as a reasonable, centrist position to hold Steve.”

    Dan, his very comments that people are jaded-into guns and religion-because of their economic status is by definition Marxist thought.

    Why is this concept so difficult for you to understand. She had provided the evidence of his Marxist leanings.

    Posted 30 Jul 2008 at 4:11 pm
  9. Dan wrote:

    “You go into these small towns in Pennsylvania and, like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing’s replaced them. And they fell through the Clinton administration, and the Bush administration, and each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are gonna regenerate and they have not.

    And it’s not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy toward people who aren’t like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.”
    – Barrack Obama

    Feel free to explain how this is Marxist thought. I believe Marxist theory would predict that this downtrodden proletariat class of people would revolt against the oppression of government. Then again, I don’t have a MASTER’S DEGREE FROM CAL BERKELEY, so I might be wrong.

    So we’re now to believe that people being disaffected by breaking of promises by government (on the part of both parties), and as a result, voting based on issues that are important to them, is somehow Marxist.

    I’m sure you had really bothered to read what he actually said instead of just assuming that what his political opponents painted his meaning to be, right?

    Posted 30 Jul 2008 at 5:10 pm
  10. Bowden Russell wrote:

    Dan,

    I suspect you have some server reading-comprehension problem. See Mrs. Russell’s initial reply to your first comment.

    Posted 30 Jul 2008 at 5:44 pm
  11. Dan wrote:

    Ms Russell’s reply offers no explanation for why the comment indicates any belief in Marxism. I realize that after seven years of the Bush administration some people are used to accepting unsupported (and for the most part, usupportable) opinions as fact, but I remain unmoved by such.

    Ms Russell proclaims that Marxist theory “… views economics as the base and cultural beliefs as the superstructure springing from that base.” This is not exclusive to Marxism and in fact is a tenet of Keynesian economics which is a purely capitalist theory.

    Posted 30 Jul 2008 at 7:29 pm

Trackbacks & Pingbacks 3

  1. From My new WordPress MU Site » Blog Archive » Oppose Obama for the right reasons on 11 Jun 2008 at 4:45 am

    […] jurassicpork wrote an interesting post today onHere’s a quick excerptObama sporting turbans or crescents, circulate in cyberspace along with e-mails warning us that Obama is really a Muslim. As a conservative, as a Christian, and as a Republican, I am deeply embarrassed by this sort of thing, … […]

  2. From test » Blog Archive » Oppose Obama for the right reasons on 11 Jun 2008 at 5:39 pm

    […] jurassicpork wrote an interesting post today onHere’s a quick excerptObama sporting turbans or crescents, circulate in cyberspace along with e-mails warning us that Obama is really a Muslim. As a conservative, as a Christian, and as a Republican, I am deeply embarrassed by this sort of thing, … Read the rest of this great post here […]

  3. From Moralia - Idiots enough to go around on 16 Jul 2015 at 4:17 am

    […] Maass knows full well that I deplore the sort of “Obama is a Muslim/a terrorist/the Antichrist” nonsense that some on the […]

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *