Hate Kate

I was absolutely blown away by the number of hits this blog got after I posted my “Lazy shrew and breeder pig” post. I had no idea how many people Google the Duggars and the Gosselins. Especially the Gosselins. Especially Kate Gosselin, whom people (mainly women, from what I can see) apparently love to hate. The statistics program that tells me how people find my blog revealed a staggering number of searches for Kate+Gosselin+shrew, Kate+Gosselin+lazy, Kate+Gosselin+insane, and so forth.

Off-line, out in the real world, I got a visceral reaction to a casual remark about Kate Gosselin recently. I had taken my children to the park and there was a woman there who had twins somewhere between one and two years of age. We talked a bit, and I mentioned a friend of mine who had triplets a few years ago, and said something to the effect of, I know it must be incredibly hard, but just imagine what it’s like for those families with quadruplets or more, like the Gosselins with their twins and sextuplets. The woman at the park immediately retorted, “Those people are insane. No one should be having that many kids. I mean, it’s crazy. Don’t you think it’s crazy?” I didn’t say anything, because the only alternative to having triplets or sextuplets or whatever is to have selective reduction, and like Kate Gosselin, I wouldn’t have done it, would have taken my chances with the sextuplets despite medical advice to the contrary. From her reaction, I got the impression that perhaps this woman’s twins had started out as a larger set of multiples and she and her husband had decided (or their doctor had convinced them) to undergo selective reduction. My friend who had triplets was pressured by her doctor to reduce, and so was Kate Gosselin, as the Gosselins relate on their website. Another woman I know did undergo the procedure, allowing her doctor to abort two of her quadruplets so that she could carry twins to term. The twins were fine, but the mother later attempted suicide, and I cannot help but think that looking at her children and asking herself, “What if the needle had gotten this one?” might have contributed to the despair that drove her to try to take her life.

Obviously, there are a lot more people who hate Kate Gosselin than there are women who have undergone selective reduction of multiple pregnancies. Much of the antipathy stems from other causes: Kate’s a TV star and those women aren’t; Kate makes a lot of money off her kids and other women either think it’s exploitative, or wish they could make some cash from the kids themselves; Kate got a free tummy tuck as a result of the TV show, and the rest of us are just living with the ravages of childbirth; Kate gets testy and loses her temper on camera, and since nobody’s filming the rest of us, we can be sanctimonious and pretend we never do asinine things ourselves.

1. Ramondo Boddington wrote:

I agree w/much of what you wrote, but your statement: “because the only alternative to having triplets or sextuplets or whatever is to have selective reduction” is false. The alternative that you did not consider is that a women should not allow her doctor to implant more that 2 or 3 embryos, at most. Additionally, no doctor should be allowed to implant more than 2 or 3 embryos into any in vitro candidate.

The only reason that greater numbers of embryos are implanted is economical. Often 5 or 6 embryos are implanted with the expectation that only one or two will “take” and thus the parents will not have to pay for the expensive procedure more than once. The downside it that little embryo number(s) 4, 5, and/or 6 might not be wanted, but at least mum and dad saved a few bucks by going w/the volume discount. If laws were passed that allowed a maximum of 2 or 3 embryos then the problem of culling or having ridiculously large “litters” would be eliminated.

Finally, it is clear that you jumped to the conclusion that the park lady thought that a lady implanted w/5 or 6 embryos should have reduced. Perhaps she merely thought that the mother and/or the doctor should have used better judgment and not implanted so many embryos, since you didn’t ask her to clarify her statement we’ll never know(*) On the bright side at least you had something to blog about today.

*(maybe some of your readers who live in Santa Fe can track down all the house fraus with 1 to 2 year old twins who are stay at home mommies that hang out in parks in the middle of the day and ask the unasked question, I mean how many could there be this town?).

Posted 14 Aug 2008 at 4:26 am

Ah, yes, the Nanny State. Let’s do outlaw implanting more than 2 or 3 embryos. Let’s do make it impossible for anyone but the very rich to have children with the aid of fertility treatments. Obviously these “litters” are causing such terrible problems. Obviously Jon and Kate’s perfectly healthy sextuplets would be better off having never been born. Yes, let’s do pass those laws immediately. We can outlaw Crisco and chocolate while we’re at it, since fat people rack up big health care bills. We can also outlaw alcohol (since that worked so beautifully during Prohibition) and thus eliminate drunk driving. We can outlaw drugs and…oh, wait, they’re already illegal, I forgot. Oh yeah, let’s definitely make a law against owning a gas-guzzling SUV; it’s a Prius, a golf cart, or nothing. This is fun! Let’s see, what else can the Nanny State make us do for our own good?

Posted 14 Aug 2008 at 5:06 am
  3. Jennifer wrote:

Please email me the Gosselin email if anyone knows it. I would like to ask Jon or Kate how many embryos were replaced when whe fell pregnant with sextuplets.

Posted 27 Sep 2008 at 10:42 am
  4. Audrey Neucks wrote:

Kate didn’t have embryos implanted as in in vitro fertilization. She had intra uterine inception. Her body was stimulated to make more eggs. Usually, they can try to control the amount of medicine and the number of eggs. If the doctor has any hint that there are more than 2-3 eggs, the patient should be encouraged NOT to have intercourse.

Of course, tell a woman, who is overly hormonal from fertility treatments and who desperately wants a child, that she has viable eggs in her body NOT to have sex.

It’s easy to point the finger now, but in the position, it would be very difficult to be that woman.

Posted 17 Oct 2008 at 5:50 pm
  5. Tammie wrote:

Ok, I admit it – I HATE KATE!! But, it has nothing to do with fertility treatments, or multiple births. She is a bitch! She humiliates her husband on a fairly regular basis in public & on National TV! When they did “Most Embarassing Moments” she blamed him instead of apologizing. “Well, if you would see that I need help & come help me like a good husband should, then I wouldn’t have those meltdowns. How selfish is it not to let your kids be kids & get messy. And for Gods sake -discipline that brat Mady!!! That’s just the tip of the iceberg…I am tired of typing LOL

Posted 23 Dec 2008 at 4:28 am
  6. Stephanie wrote:

WOW…I can’t believe how low you people are,smack talking this lady who probably hass 2 as many kids as you. Most of which were born all at once. By what you are saying you think she is a freak a clutter free person a germ-a-phobe well with pre-mature babies you have to be extra careful of anything they do in the preemie years.Grow up people..be sympathetic.I bet you could take care of 9 people and care and love each 1 for themselves and not as a whole.seriously be mature.

Posted 31 Dec 2008 at 4:16 am
  7. Tammie wrote:

1st of all, she did intact freely CHOOSE to seek fertility treatment & to have that many kids, as you say Stephanie, most of them at the same time. She was aware of the risks/consequences. She also knowingly decided to take a job that would put her in the public eye. As a ‘celebrity’ you’re pretty much fair game. Of course people will discuss you, good & bad – that’s part of it. If she’d get help &/or mess for her OCD, let her kids be kids (& maybe make mudpies or other fun (& dirty) kid stuff. Maybe if she treated her husband with even some respect & even just on camera, etc. Then she would probably get a Lot less critisism.

Posted 30 Jan 2009 at 9:01 pm
  8. Marsha wrote:

What’s wrong with adopting children. Do people prefer getting pregnant with multiples who could have serious health issues rather than taking in a child who needs parents. I know that adoption is expensive and time consuming but isn’t that just like fertility treatments. At least with adoption you get more predictable results

Posted 24 Feb 2009 at 3:15 pm
  9. TCH wrote:

Bridgette said: ” Ah, yes, the Nanny State. Let’s do outlaw implanting more than 2 or 3 embryos. Let’s do make it impossible for anyone but the very rich to have children with the aid of fertility treatments. Obviously these “litters” are causing such terrible problems.”

I guess back when you posted that you NEVER would have imagined 8 months later some whack job in CA would have 14 embryo’s on the states tab. Who would have thought you sarcastic comment would be so, so……moot?

Funny actually.

Posted 28 Feb 2009 at 1:26 pm
  10. TCH wrote:

edit: I meant babies where I typed embryo’s.

Posted 28 Feb 2009 at 1:27 pm
  11. Rachel wrote:

I really appriciated this! Instead of just bashing Kate you stated your opinions and thoughts, that really speaks to me a lot! Also, yay for not wanting to reduce the number of embyos! Those poor babies :( Thank you for a refreshing look at Kate!

Posted 16 Mar 2009 at 5:33 pm

Re comment #9, please see

A Nanny for Octomom — and the rest of us, too

Posted 16 Mar 2009 at 6:24 pm
  13. rachel wrote:

Marsha, are you serious? Obviously you have no idea the pain caused by infertility and being unable to have your own children and exp. pregnancy. Adoption is beautiful but typically the last route since its three times more expensive and takes forever- oh and the health results are just as unpredictable either way. The want to be a mother is inate- and whne your body won’t do it naturally- its devastating. maybe you should put yourself in someone else’s shoes before you go forming opinions.
    kate gets a bad rap- but remember this was done four years ago ebfore they suggested 1 or two embryos- she only had 4 eggs when they did the insemination according to her website. yeah- shes a bit mean to john- but ladies- when you are at home how do you REALLY act? seriously. Propr to Kate for handling all those kids and not being pressured to reduce.

Posted 07 May 2009 at 8:20 pm
  14. marija wrote:

Kate could catch more bees with honey. Be nice to Jon and stop the bickering in front of the kids so that they don’t repeat the process, lose viewers, her sanity and the big brass ring.

Posted 08 May 2009 at 7:09 pm

Personally, I wouldn’t be surprised if the show’s producers didn’t actually encourage her to be as bitchy as she wants to be. The meaner she is, the angrier viewers get, the more people blog about her, comment about her, complain about her.

The people behind the show don’t care whether people love her or hate her, as long as they’re passionate about her. The minute Kate becomes a sweet, soft-spoken lady, that’s when the conflict stops, and boredom sets in, and ratings go down.

Frankly, I wouldn’t be surprised if Jon and Kate weren’t having a good laugh together about all the “fights” on the show…laughing all the way to the bank.

Posted 08 May 2009 at 11:00 pm
  16. Eileen wrote:

I can’t stand her! I refuse to watch the show because of her attitude, the way she treated her father, her sister Jodi & her husband most of all!

Who on earth would give this woman a show? She does not deserve anything she gets.

Posted 23 May 2009 at 9:15 pm

1. From Moralia - A Nanny for Octomom — and the rest of us, too on 02 Mar 2009 at 3:35 am

[…] crazy bitch” than from anything else, and as a result, a post I wrote last year called Hate Kate continues to garner comments. The most recent one sarcastically quotes one of my comments on that […]

2. From Moralia - Celebrity culture on 27 Jun 2009 at 9:59 pm

[…] are celebrities of more recent vintage, and I’ve actually blogged about them before (here , here and […]

3. From Moralia - Toilet training future adults on 07 Apr 2010 at 7:46 pm

[…] written well over a hundred posts on this blog, and only two of those (this one and this one) have been about the Gosselin family. Nevertheless, according to my stat program, this is the top […]