Obamanos, for those of you outside the Land of Enchantment, has been the battle cry of New Mexico’s Obamanistas. It’s clever, I’ll grant them that. It’s clever; it’s slick; it’s hip — just like Obama himself.
As passionately as I wanted John McCain to win the presidency, I’m feeling remarkably tranquil in the wake of an Obama victory. Maybe it’s just the calm before the storm. Maybe it’s the booze. Maybe it’s a combination of the following:
1) I won’t have to listen to Democrats caterwauling about how the racist Republicans stole the election. Republicans accept defeat gracefully.
2) Maybe leftists will finally stop bemoaning what a racist country the U.S. is. After all, won’t electing Barack Obama pretty much bury that argument? I fear not, alas. Maybe they’ll accept that white Democrats aren’t all bigots, but they can continue to reassure themselves about how racist all of us who didn’t vote for Obama are.
3) It will be nice to have Leno and Letterman and all the rest pick on a Democrat again. Ah, how I’ve missed Bill Clinton! Though something tells me they won’t be half so hard on Obama as they’ve been on Bush, and Obama seems far too circumspect to give them anything like the sort of comic fodder Clinton did.
4) Maybe people will leave Sarah Palin in peace. It’s become truly painful watching the feeding frenzy.
5) The economy is going to blow up in the next president’s face, and it won’t be a Republican face.
6) At least it was Obama-Biden, not Biden-Obama. Let’s be thankful for what we can — and let’s all say a Hail Mary or two (or two thousand) for Mr. Obama’s continued excellent health.
I really am trying to be a good sport about this. But the fact remains, President Obama and his Democratic super-majority in Congress are going to tax the living daylights out of their fellow Americans. You happy Democrats out there are saying, “You bet your assets he is — time for those fat cat capitalists to pay their fair share!” But it just isn’t that simple.
More frighteningly, Vice President-elect Biden was right (for once) when he said that those who hate America would be sure to test President Obama. Test him they will, and we can only pray that responding to the challenge and protecting those of us who elected him, along with those of us who didn’t, will not prove to be above his pay grade.