Shop ’till he drops

I’ve heard some disgusting, appalling things on the news lately, but the story of shoppers trampling a man to death in their rush to get into a store and load up on cheap crap from China surpasses just about all of them. Man’s inhumanity to man I can understand, when the stakes are empires or even ill-gotten millions from corporate raiding. But a toaster oven from Wal-Mart? Can we sink any lower?

But maybe I’m just being elitist. I guess a toaster oven on sale is to some people what Gaul was to Caesar, Persia to Alexander, or that airline to Gordon Gekko.

1. Andy wrote:

Shocked and appalled… just maybe not as much as some folks. Tyler Durden’s Americana coming home to roost.

“…an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don’t need.”

I can’t imangine anything in that store that was needed so bad someone had to die over it. Cheap chinese crap at 30-60% off. What a bargain. Mao would be proud.

Posted 29 Nov 2008 at 11:51 am

I actually quoted exactly that line from Fight Club in another post, I think in the one called “Cleaning House” that’s in my Favorite Posts list on the sidebar.

Posted 29 Nov 2008 at 4:41 pm
  3. Andy wrote:

Yes you did! I just discovererd your blog yesterday and loved it. Sorry for the cheap plagiarism but it fit so well.
    To me, the root cause of this and other instances like it, is the consume and spend mentality of the populace. People were so absorbed with getting the great deal on stuff to “keep up with the Jones’ ” that the crowd not only trampled this man, but stomped over the people that were trying to help him. It’s disgusting and truly sad that this is where some people are in life.
    Time for a reality check.

Posted 29 Nov 2008 at 5:40 pm
  4. Andy wrote:

By the way… Love your writing! Keep up the great work.

Posted 29 Nov 2008 at 5:40 pm

Thanks. Glad you found it, and thanks for commenting.

Posted 29 Nov 2008 at 9:58 pm
  6. N wrote:

It is totally Walmart’s fault. Every other retailer gives out a ticket of some sort before the store opens to avoid the rush of 2000 shoppers. This was totally avoidable. Or the other option is, have enough stock on hand, rather than 10 televisions for 2000 customers to fight over. In either case, this was heartbreaking and I am mortified to call myself a New Yorker.

Posted 01 Dec 2008 at 11:32 pm
  7. Bev wrote:

I agree with N, that this particular Walmart is at fault. Our local store gives out tickets for those sought-after items, and it still can be a madhouse. NOTHING in any store is worth dying for.

Posted 14 Dec 2008 at 1:50 pm