Sick

In both senses, literal and figurative.

Literally, I’ve been down with a brutal stomach flu, hence no posts in the last few days. As luck would have it, my husband was out of town, so I was on my own with the kids, and pretty much let the three eldest run wild and trash the house, and only dragged myself out of bed when the baby needed to be fed or changed. At least I didn’t get sick at the same time the kids were sick (they had it in the days before I did), which is what happened last time.

Figuratively, this whole bail-out debacle is becoming a truly sick nightmare. I just got finished watching President Bush say in his news conference,

I’m a market-oriented guy, but not when faced with an international economic meltdown.

Or words to that effect; I typed it from memory after watching it on TV rather than getting it from an online transcript. But anyway, that was the gist of it. Sort of like saying,

I’m a Christian, except that I don’t go to church because I’d rather watch football on Sundays, I live with my girlfriend because I’m not ready to get married yet, and I don’t give anything to charity because I couldn’t afford a new Wii, i-pod and cell phone if I did.

Sort of like saying,

I believe in personal responsibility, except that I shouldn’t have to live like a pauper so I can pay off all this credit card debt I ran up buying clothes and electronics and restaurant meals and booze in bars.

This whole bail-out mess makes me feel almost as sick as the flu did. President Bush makes me feel sick when he spouts off about the free market even as his policies are undermining it faster than those of any president in U.S. history, Democrat or Republican. Treasury Secretary Paulson makes me feel sick just because he and I exist on the same planet. John McCain makes me feel sick because he jumped on the bail-out bandwagon instead of being a real maverick (I hate that word now) and denouncing it for the headlong dash down the slippery slope to socialism that it was. Every Republican in either house of Congress who voted for either one of the bail-out bills makes me sick. Just about all of the talking heads on TV news — with the exception of the incredibly insightful and brilliant Neil Cavuto — make me sick for not calling a spade a spade.

I need to go lie down. I’m not sure if it’s the tail end of the virus or the toxic economic poison that’s doing it, but I really do feel sick.

Another way to say it is: I’m a market guy, except when a combination of excessive deregulation of the market and government manipulation of the market have left it in a position where if we don’t step in, the whole world economy is quite likely to collapse irrevocably.

There’s plenty of blame to spread around for why the market is so screwed up (from both the GOP and the Dems and from the Wall Street types that play both sides against each other and get rich off it) but now that the crisis is here I prefer to allow the top financial experts and economists in the world decide how to fix the problem. Certainly moreso than Neil Cavuto, who as far as I can glean has no education in finance or economics whatsoever and is a career journalist.

I would argue that a purely free market wouldn’t have gotten us into this position to begin with (I too am a “free market guy”) but we’ve never had a truly free market and none of the “free market guys” out there seem to be able to come up with a free market solution to the problem. Not even Alan Greenspan. Maybe Bill O’Reilly or Keith Olbermann have the answer though.

Hope you and your kids feel better.

Posted 13 Nov 2008 at 11:05 pm

Isn’t it funny that the economy didn’t unwind until the Democrats regained control of Congress?

Imagine that.

Posted 14 Nov 2008 at 2:56 am

What a world it is! Dan defends Bush after I criticize him. And a further marvel: Dan and I agree 100% that both the Dems and the GOP are neck-deep in blame for this mess. Global recessions make strange bedfellows.

Posted 14 Nov 2008 at 6:39 am

Isn’t it funny how Al Qaeda didn’t manage to successfully destroy the World Trade Center until the Republicans regained control of the executive branch?

Imagine that.

Honestly, I’m not defending Bush because he pretty obviously has nothing whatsoever to do with the bailout. He’s the ultimate lame duck and has been for most of a year already.

Posted 14 Nov 2008 at 3:44 pm

Uhmmm…Dan…we in the Republican party don’t run away and hide from out mistakes. Many of us condemned Bush’s lax immigration policy and lack of immigration enforcement which contributed to the attacks on 9/11.

We don’t give him a pass.

You and yours though spend many long nights toiling many hours making excuses for the Democratic induced depression that the economy is now in. The economy was great prior to the Dems taking congress in January of ’07.

There comes a time when a party realizes that accecpting responsibility for their actions and mistakes is important to leading a nation. The Dems still haven’t learned to accept responsibility.

They’ll be the end of us.

Posted 14 Nov 2008 at 6:34 pm

GOP controls all three branches of the federal government for 5 years, does nothing about out-of-control subprime market: Totally cool.

GOP controls two branches and Dems control 1 branch for 1.5 years, none do anything about out of control subprime market: ALL THE DEMOCRATS FAULT.

Isn’t it funny how the PLO didn’t manage to murder over two hundred US Marines until Reagan got in office? Imagine that.

By the way Bowden, all the 9/11 hijackers were in the country on completely legal student visas which not even the most right wing wackjob Pat Buchannan isolationist “no more brown people” immigration plans have proposed changing. Do you ever bother learning any facts about something before you form your opinion on it?

You don’t seem to be able to differentiate correlation from causation, or either from coincidence.

Posted 14 Nov 2008 at 8:52 pm

Never said it was all the Democrats fault, just most of it.

Sen. McCain warned in 2005/2006 of the impending trouble of Fannie/Freddy and the Dems prevented his bill which would have reformed these two institutions, possibly preventing much of the finanical trouble we’re in.

Also, some of the hijackers were in the country on EXPIRED visas. Some where on “student visas”.

Sorry Dan, your revisionism doesn’t pass the smell test.

To keep of all the immigrants we dramatically need to reduce the mind-bogling number of immigrants allowed in this nation. We paid a terrible price for this attack because of the failed and still broken immigration problem.

Oh, and here is but one bit of my evidence on the failed visa story:

WASHINGTON (AP) — A border agent said Monday that the suspected ringleader of the September 11 attacks raised enough red flags at customs — including having the wrong student visa — that he should been prevented from entering the United States.

Customs agent Jose E. Melendez-Perez, testifying at a public hearing on border and aviation security, said lead hijacker Mohamed Atta’s age and impeccable clothes also appeared to contradict his story about being a student.

“I would have recommended refusal,” Melendez-Perez said.
    ——————————————-

Don’t engage in revisionism Dan. It’s intellectually dishonest. Now if you didn’t know about the visa situation than I’ll excuse you on that. But that would mean you’re ignorant of the facts now, wouldn’t it?

Posted 14 Nov 2008 at 10:41 pm
  8. Enthalpymama wrote:

Brigette, I do hope you are feeling better soon!

I hate to intrude on an otherwise lovely war of prose. However, I have just been cordially introduced to this blog. Besides my quick ‘hello’, I will mention that the problems seem to stem from the interface between socialism and free markets. That is, the fact that organizations such as Fanny and Freddy were acting very much like free market enterprises, but were not subject to the same downside risk as a truly free market enterprise would have experienced.

Posted 17 Nov 2008 at 6:57 pm

We’re probably just beginning to see the fallout from the dysfunctional marriage of capitalism and socialism in the American (and global) economy. Lord knows I’m no economist, and there are people who understand it all a lot better than I do. Unfortunately, some of those people who supposedly understand it so well are the exact same people who helped make the mess in the first place.

Thanks for visiting and commenting, e-mama.

Posted 18 Nov 2008 at 5:19 am

“Although I probably do not have all the details memorized as you do, I do find it interesting that terrorists attacks tend to happen when Republicans are in office.”

1. First attack on World Trade Center: February 1993. Bill Clinton on office less than 1 month.

2. United States, April 19, 1995: Oklahoma City bombing kills 168 people, 19 of them children; the most deadly act of domestic terrorism in the United States to date.

3. Saudi Arabia, June 25, 1996: Khobar Towers bombing – In all, 19 U.S. servicemen and one Saudi were killed and 372 wounded, by Hizballah Al-Hijaz (Saudi Hizballah) with Iranian support, see FBI Most Wanted Terrorists

4. United States, July 27, 1996: Centennial Olympic Park bombing, killing two and wounding 111

5. United States, February 24, 1997: Ali Abu Kamal opens fire on tourists at an observation deck atop the Empire State Building in New York City, killing a Danish national and wounding visitors from the United States, Argentina, Switzerland and France before turning the gun on himself. A handwritten note carried by the gunman claims this was a punishment attack against the “enemies of Palestine

6. US Embassys bombed in Kenya and Tanzania, August 1998.

7. United States, December 31, 1999 An arson fire causes one million dollars in damage and destroys the fourth floor of Michigan State University’s Agriculture Hall. In 2008 four people that the U.S. government claimed were Earth Liberation Front members were indicted for that incident.[5]

8. USS Cole bombed, October 2000.

Posted 18 Nov 2008 at 10:46 pm

1. From Moralia - Billions and billions… on 12 May 2009 at 2:56 pm

[…] our national debt, mortgaging the futures of your children and mine. I get almost physically sick when I dwell for too long on what has happened in the sordid mess our national economy has become. […]