It’s, like, too boring

A special election. A senate race run-off. Two dreary old white guys running. Yawn. I’ve got better things to do.

Apparently this was the attitude of a lot of young voters who flocked to the polls to elect Barack Obama president. True, McCain did win in Georgia, but not by anywhere near the margin Saxby Chambliss had in his senate run-off. When there’s nobody vibrant, exciting and glamorous running, the party that needs the votes of young, shallow people with short attention spans suffers.

Now if only Al Franken can not manage to steal the election in Minnesota, I will be well and truly satisfied.

Please explain how a legally mandated recount which attempts to discern the clear intentions of voters is an attempt at “stealing”.

I find it kind of hard to believe that you’re applauding Saxby Chambliss of all people. Is it just because of his party registration? Even John McCain called him a disgrace for his smear campaign of Max Cleland, a triple-amputee Vietnam veteran, in 2002. This is exactly the kind of scum the GOP should be pushing out the door.

Posted 09 Dec 2008 at 2:45 am

At the moment, avoiding that 60-Senator super-majority is a higher priority than booting out imperfect Republicans.

And the recount itself isn’t an attempt at stealing; it’s the absurd details regarding individual ballots. Franken’s trying to do what Christine Gregoire did in Washington — and do NOT try to tell me she won that one fair and square.

Posted 09 Dec 2008 at 11:50 am

Both Coleman and Franken camps are challenging individual ballots, most of which anyone can agree show the clear intention of the voter. Its all about tit for tat at this point. There’s no “stealing” going on.

Tangentially, can you give a reason that the Dems shouldn’t just enact the nuclear option and get rid of the filibuster Bowden? Its what the GOP repeatedly threatened to do (and GOP opinion makers like Limbaugh advocated doing) to get the tiny percentage of far-right activist judges confirmed that the Dems were filibustering back in 2005. I bet you’re glad wiser heads prevailed on that one (including McCain, whom Limbaugh labeled a traitor and not a real Republican as a result) now, aren’t you?

Posted 09 Dec 2008 at 3:28 pm

They probably will get rid of the filibuster if the Republicans won’t lie down and play doormat every time they want something — and the Republicans know it. That’s the difference between the parties — the GOP will either back down, play nice, or get sabotaged by its own “mavericks” while the Dems will stick together and fight to win. For all that I think my side is right on the issues, Dan, I freely acknowledge that it’s your side that has the courage of its convictions.

“Dead! Dead! Dead!”
    — Obama Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel

Posted 09 Dec 2008 at 8:34 pm

“Tangentially, can you give a reason that the Dems shouldn’t just enact the nuclear option and get rid of the filibuster Bowden?”

Dan,

I tried being civil to you in previous threads, to no avail. As this is my wife’s blog I will refrain from letting you have both barrels.

You’re not worthy of my time Dan.

Have I made myself clear?

Posted 09 Dec 2008 at 9:53 pm
  6. Julia wrote:

Deafening silence from Dan on the Christine Gregoire comparison. You’re totally right on that one, Brigette. She stole that election.

Posted 11 Dec 2008 at 9:18 pm