Out with the old

On this most historic of historic days, I was going to write about something other than the landmark inauguration of the first black President of the U.S., because that’s what everyone else is doing, and I’ve been too busy being on vacation – and too internet-deprived – to keep up with all the buzz. But who am I kidding? Politics. It’s a sickness.

As expected, the Ciceronian periods flowed like milk and honey, bathing the adoring crowds in the sweet, seductive reassurance that the good ole U. S. of A. may be down but she ain’t out, that we can soldier on with Hope and Virtue and conquer anything in our path, that we don’t have to choose between our security and our ideals. Thank God. I guess that means we can still be the most bad-ass country in the world and have all the cool people in Europe like us.

Oh yeah, and that Big Government vs. Small Government thing? It’s a non-issue. Seriously. It’s not whether government is big or small, but whether it works or not. So you see, there really isn’t any point in being a Republican. Unity is the new black.

Dear God, will somebody please wake me up and tell me this whole thing has been a long, terrible, psychotic dream and that Republicans weren’t really stupid enough to pick John McCain as their standard bearer? Not that it would have mattered. As I’ve written before, Barack Chyrsostom Obama had all the right moves, and I don’t think any Republican would have stood a chance. The GOP is SOL until someone who looks and sounds like him but thinks like us appears on the scene.

Disappearing from the scene today is the man we all love to hate, the man whom we all laughed to see dodging flying footwear, the man who lied us into a war we’re now in the embarrassing position of winning. And with him goes the wheelchair-bound (oh, truly, there is a God!) evil genius behind the throne, rolling off into the sunset to continue his Machiavellian machinations in the private sector. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out, [expletive deleted], sneers the swollen army of Bush haters.

And through it all, George W. Bush sat watching the ceremonies with quiet grace, appearing for all the world as though he truly wished Barack Obama well, as he said repeatedly in his last press conference. Those who hate him no doubt snorted derisively and said the gentleman didst protest too much. Call me naïve, but I believed him. I could not disagree with President Bush more profoundly on the bail-outs, and a number of other policy issues as well, but I do not share the vitriolic hatred of the man that so many even in his own party feel. I am convinced that 9/11 would not have been the end of the terrorist attacks on American soil, not by a long shot, had President Bush been less about his business. As I watched him and his wife embrace the Obamas and board the helicopter for the first leg of their journey back to Texas and post-presidential life, I couldn’t help but feel a little sad. This makes me something of a freak in Obama’s America, I realize. These days, a good, patriotic American praises not the President, but a foreigner who throws shoes at him.

President Obama closed his inaugural address with, “God bless you. And God bless the United States of America.” Amen, brother. So I’ll close this post by saying not only, God bless Barack Obama, but God bless George W. Bush, too.

1. Long Tall Bu Blonde wrote:

Amen!
    See you Thursday, between 10 and 2!

Posted 21 Jan 2009 at 8:17 am
  2. Foxfier wrote:

I think I’m the only person on earth who doesn’t give a @#$@# that Obama has a perma-tan….

Agreed about Bush, though.

Posted 21 Jan 2009 at 9:12 am
  3. MIT Mommy wrote:

I do hope the history books give George W. Bush the credit he deserves on a number of counts. He stood hard and fast at a time when critics continued to throw shoes at him. Ironically, as much as he was a little too blunt in his rhetoric at times, there are times when a leader has to stand up and face the wind.

There are a number of things that worry me entering this new phase of history.

First, Obama has NO IDEA what is actually happening in Washington. No, seriously, there are many things that only the President and his advisors know and for good reason.

Second, the markets went down during the inauguration. You can blame the fact that the Bush administration was “coddling them” and therefore the big evil “they” are now worried that “they” (whoever they are) now have to be honest. But, I see it as very well trained, financially smart people not having confidence in the future. Of course, who am I to interpret the markets?

Clearly enjoyed your post . . . .

Posted 21 Jan 2009 at 1:15 pm
  4. Disgrunted Female wrote:

Good post, Brigette. 100% agreement on each and every point.
    Yes, God Bless America. We’re going to need his blessings.

Posted 21 Jan 2009 at 5:01 pm
  5. Grue in the Attic wrote:

I’ll happily claim the title of “freak in Obama’s America”. In a country like that, or should I say like THIS, I wouldn’t want to be anywhere near normal.

Posted 21 Jan 2009 at 7:12 pm
  6. Julia wrote:

Big govt vs small govt doesn’t matter?????? And everybody clapped and cheered and said how great his speech was. God bless America, yeah, but God HELP America too!

Posted 21 Jan 2009 at 7:26 pm
  7. Patrick wrote:

Oh, nicely said, Brigette, nicely said. By that definition, I’m a freak, too. Only it’s not “Obama’s America”– that’s a trope only Obamaniacs should use. You know darn well the country is bigger than the office of the presidency.

I, on the other hand, must admit that I have no idea what a Ciceronian period is.

Posted 21 Jan 2009 at 9:39 pm

Cicero the famed Roman orator tended to use trios of phrases with the same grammatical construction (three infinitive phrases, or participial phrases, of whatever) and those who study rhetoric use the term period for the parts. Obama does this all the time, as many good orators do.

Posted 22 Jan 2009 at 1:07 am