Blood and Watermelon

Since my kids have been sick and I’m busy doing “a stimulus” of loads of laundry, you get one of my held-in-reserve-for-sick-kid-emergencies posts, and hypocrites who don’t pay their taxes but want to raise mine get a brief respite from my rapier wit. So breathe a sigh of relief, Mr. Emmanuel, and enjoy the travelogue, gentle readers.

Santa Fe sits in the foothills of a portion of the Rocky Mountains known as the Sangre de Cristo, which is Spanish for the Blood of Christ. The early Spanish settlers chose that name because the setting sun reflected on the snow-covered mountains and gave them a reddish hue at sunset. For the same reason, the mountains just east of Albuquerque were named the Sandia Mountains, from the Spanish for watermelon. Looking at the pinkish-red peaks of both ranges, I have often pondered the difference of temperament that would make one group of people think of watermelon, and another of the blood of the Savior.

When I was talking about the meaning of the mountains’ Spanish names with the girls, they asked what the “Jimenez” Mountains meant in English. The range is actually the Jemez, but because Elizabeth had a teacher once named Mrs. Jimenez, they always forget and think it’s that. I said I thought it was a proper name, and didn’t mean anything.

“A person’s name?” Cordelia asked, “like Dennis Jimenez?” It took me a minute to realize she meant Dennis the Menace.

So those are the three ranges we can see from Santa Fe: the Blood of Christ Mountains, the Watermelon Mountains, and the Dennis the Menace Mountains.

1. Patrick wrote:

“Dennis Jimenez?” That’s wonderful!

Posted 22 Feb 2009 at 1:34 am

I’m having trouble connecting this post to “Rahm Emmanuel” or “Tax Evasion”.

tags: Sarah Palin, racism

Posted 23 Feb 2009 at 5:32 pm
  3. Grue in the Attic wrote:

Dan sez: I’m having trouble connecting this post to “Rahm Emmanuel” or “Tax Evasion”.

Try reading the article more closely, Sir Daniel.
    From first paragraph:
    “…hypocrites who don’t pay their taxes but want to raise mine get a brief respite from my rapier wit. So breathe a sigh of relief, Mr. Emmanuel…”

Posted 23 Feb 2009 at 6:23 pm

Dan said,

I’m having trouble connecting this post to “Rahm Emmanuel” or “Tax Evasion”.

Dan, are you saying that the fact that Rahm failed to pay taxes on years of rent-free living didn’t make it into your talking points faxed to you from the DNC?

;->

Posted 23 Feb 2009 at 11:58 pm
  5. Julia wrote:

“tags: Sarah Palin, racism”

Boy, Dan, you really had to work hard to find something unkind to say about this post, didn’t you?

Posted 24 Feb 2009 at 4:17 am

Julia, On the contrary, I was pointing out that this post has nothing to do with Rahm Emmanuel but Brigette decided to snipe at him in it anyway.

I’m still waiting on her outraged post about Karl Rove continuing to flaunt the law of the land by ignoring subpoenas from both the Senate and House judiciary committees.

Posted 24 Feb 2009 at 4:13 pm