The Unfairness Doctrine

Senator Debbie Stabenow (D-Mich) told liberal radio host Bill Press in an interview that she’s all for the Fairness Doctrine, which is Newspeak for eviscerating one of the only two places conservatives can effectively exercise their right to free speech:

I absolutely think it’s time to be bringing accountability to the airwaves. I mean, our new president has talked rightly about accountability and transparency. You know, that we all have to step up and be responsible. And, I think in this case, there needs to be some accountability and standards put in place.

To which Drew at Ace of Spades responds:

How’s this for transparency you idiot…people like to listen to conservative talk radio and not so much for liberals. There, transparent enough?

Today the radio, tomorrow the internet. Watch your backs, my friends.

Oh, and if the name Debbie Stabenow sounds vaguely familiar to you, as it did to me, it’s because she’s the one whose husband David Athans got busted last year for hiring a 20-year-old hooker. I’ll bet the right-wing talk radio hosts were all over him like a cheap suit, and Debbie didn’t like it not one little bit.

Hell hath no fury like an aging woman scorned by her younger husband and made a public laughingstock by conservative talk show hosts.

Isn’t it funny that this “fairness” doctrine only applies to the one area that conservatives dominate: Talk Radio?

They have no problem with the left dominating ABC, CBS, NBC (Fox doesn’t come near to their numbers either) TV or the myriad of newspapers or even the Universities.

Gee, that is so interesting.

Posted 06 Feb 2009 at 5:33 am
  2. Anonymous wrote:

In America, they first came after the global warming deniers
    and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a global warming denier (at least not in public)

Then they came after the Mormons and evangelical Christians
    and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Mormon or an evangelical Christian

Then they came after “the wealthy”
    and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t one of “the wealthy”

Then they came after blue collar “Joes” who dared to question Obama’s tax plans
    and I didn’t speak up because I never dared to question The Anointed One about anything

Then they came after the conservative radio hosts and bloggers
    and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a radio host or blogger

Then they came for me —
    and by that time no one was left to speak up

Think that America is immune to fascism? Think again.

Posted 06 Feb 2009 at 2:15 pm

Setting aside the hyperbole involved in pretending that the fairness doctrine (which I don’t agree with) somehow equals censorship, the Federal Government has no regulatory power over the internet because it is not a public broadcast spectrum like the radio and television airwaves are. This is also why the FCC can’t regulate/censor cable TV despite strenuous pressure to do so from conservative groups.

Conservatives pretending that the newly Democratic controlled Executive and Legislative branches are about to start restricting their free speech are about as the people on the left in the wake of 9/11 who pretended that criticism of Bush was causing people to be rounded up and sent to Gitmo. In fact I very much doubt that the Obama administration will even engage in the “free speech zones” that the Bush administration liked to establish miles away from wherever the president was appearing to prevent him from having to hear dissenting opinions. Anyone want to make a friendly wager? If I lose I’ll put a Sarah Palin 2012 bumper sticker on my car for six months.

Btw Anon, in America they never have nor ever will “come after” the global warming deniers regardless of how stupid said deniers are so I guess we’re safe from your ridiculous slippery slope into fascism.

Also, just FYI fascism is a specific form of government characterized by extreme nationalism and intertwining of government and business, not just whatever form of authoritanism you think is out to get you.

Posted 06 Feb 2009 at 5:07 pm
  4. Grue in the Attic wrote:

There’s a lovely bit of ad-hominem to wake up to in the morning.

Posted 06 Feb 2009 at 5:09 pm

I seek to entertain :)

Posted 06 Feb 2009 at 5:13 pm

Maybe if Senator Stabenow spent a little more quality time with her husband instead of thinking up neo-fascist laws to control the airwaves from dissenting opinions, Mr. Stabenow wouldn’t be catting around for 20 year olds?

Just a thought.

Posted 06 Feb 2009 at 7:46 pm

I think the fairness doctrine should be used to get some morally principled talk show hosts on the air to offset the ones who engage in illegal drug use and engage in sex tourism trips to third world countries out of wedlock.

America’s youth need positive christian role models not greedy amoral serial marrying media moguls who exploit the ignorance of their brainwashed listening audience. This religion-hating malcontent has made a mockery of marriage by getting divorced not once but three times!

Won’t someone think of the children?

Posted 06 Feb 2009 at 9:55 pm

Wow, you libs sure threw away the entire concept of “right to privacy” when you guys made Rush’s medical records public over this case.

But you guys are hypocrites so just like you praise tax-cheats like Al Franken, who still owes the IRS $50,000 in unpaid taxes, interest and penalties, we’ll just let that slide.

Posted 07 Feb 2009 at 4:51 am
  9. Foxfier wrote:

Hold up.

So, telling you that you’re not allowed to say X, unless you give equal time to Y— which is what the random governing body decides is the opposite of X– isn’t censorship?

Um… right.

Posted 07 Feb 2009 at 9:36 am
  10. Foxfier wrote:

Oh, by the way– I’m a fairly mild conservative. Pretty classic don’t-screw-around-unless-you’re-married, I-don’t-care-what-you-do-if-it’s-not-in-the-streets,-don’t-hurt-folks type person.

You know what I’ve been handed as the Y to my X?

Murdered babies–of the born sort— lesbians whose actions would be chargeable in civi court if they were men acting to me thus, and folks calling me a Nazi if I object to tax hikes.

Posted 07 Feb 2009 at 9:44 am

Rush Limbaugh is a deviant immoral pervert who should be banned from the public airwaves.

Posted 07 Feb 2009 at 11:23 pm

Anon:

Thanks for posting that. Given the crypto-fascist leanings of the new administration and just how close our nation is to losing it’s First Amendment protection (see Senator Debbie Stabenow comments above), it is good to reflect on what the Nazis did to Democratic Germany.

Scary times we live in.