Fiscal flotsam and jetsam

I’ve been trying to get a new blog post out for days, but it’s the wrong time of year for getting anything done — anything but taxes, that is. Every time I have a spare moment to sit down and write, my husband calls with another request for financial information. We go through this every year, just like millions of other couples across America, scrambling to get all the little bits and pieces of our financial lives organized so we can present them to a tax preparer and he can fill out the tortuous, Byzantine forms the IRS demands. It really is a colossal undertaking. No wonder Tim Geithner had trouble figuring it all out.

So please be patient, gentle readers. There are stacks of newspapers on my desk with juicy stories just begging to be blogged about, but unfortunately they’re buried under bank statements, credit card receipts, MS Money printouts, K-1 and W-4 forms and all the other minutiae of modern fiscal life.

That handsome devil in DC says I’ve got to get my skin in the game, so getting it I am. If I don’t dot all my i’s and cross all my t’s carefully, the Boss may take time out from his busy schedule of firing the CEOs of automobile manufacturers and send some of Mr. Geithner’s minions after little old me.

Bravo Brigette!

Do you like how that “handsome devil” didn’t ever fire a single crooked banker or anyone AGI? Nope, I mean he knows who his buddies are and his campaign contributors are, right?

I’m not saying he’s a “fascist”, but it is very, very troubling, to say the least, that he feels he can dictate to publically owned companies who will run their corporations and who won’t! (I guess Obama really is a stooge of the UAW who hate Wagoner).

These are really frightening times. I guess GM now stands for “Government Motors”!

Posted 31 Mar 2009 at 2:06 am

AIG’s CEO Robert Willumstad was fired in September and the head of AIG’s Financial Products (Joseph Cassano, who is the architect of credit default swaps and, more than any other single person, is to blame for the financial meltdown) was fired in November. Were you expecting that handsome devil to fire the new ones for the sins of their predecessors?

Posted 31 Mar 2009 at 2:58 pm

correction: Cassano was fired in March 2008 (and walked away with $280M)

Posted 31 Mar 2009 at 3:00 pm
  4. Grue in the Attic wrote:

The question is more where he gets the idea that it’s his place to fire people at all.

Posted 31 Mar 2009 at 6:25 pm

I think the government is perfectly within its rights to ask a company’s CEO to resign as a prerequisite for getting billions in bailouts, especially when that CEO is directly responsible for many of the decisions that lead to the need for the bailout in the first place, don’t you? Its not like Chairman Barry is going around to random companies firing their CEOs for no reason.

Posted 31 Mar 2009 at 6:39 pm

1. Obama didn’t do the firing.

2. The United States Government is owner of 80% of AIG. Thus, it was a legitimate request of the owners to request the resignation of the CEO.

3. The USG doesn’t have an ownership stake in GM. That is what makes this scary.

It’s funny that for a “libertarian”, and most of those people I know abhor the government getting involved in the free-market, you sure seem to stick up for the socialist/fascist actions of the state.

Posted 31 Mar 2009 at 6:52 pm

He got the idea from the UAW. Obama does their bidding as he took huge donations from the Unions in this past elections. Same with AIG, Lehman Brothers, etc.

Obama is the best President they could buy. And buy they did.

In the end, Obama will assist the UAW in having the controlling interest in GM.

Posted 31 Mar 2009 at 6:54 pm

1. Obama didn’t do the firing.

I never claimed he did nor is it relevant.

General Motors is requesting a massive government bailout. Thus it is a legitimate request by the government that the CEO resign.

3. The USG doesn’t have an ownership stake in GM. That is what makes this scarry.

See above.

I’m not really sure what you mean by the first half of this sentence, but if the government is going to bail out the failures of the private market (I’d prefer they didn’t in GM and Chrysler’s cases as they both have awful product lineups and neither have bothered delivering the business reform plan that was required of them , I don’t have any problem with them imposing terms on doing so. One of those terms just happens to be the resignation of Waggoner, who is directly responsible for GM’s decade-long focus on ever-larger SUVs and neglect of the midsize and compact markets.

socialist/fascist actions

I just wanted to re-quote this so I could laugh at it. I’m laughing at you on the internet. Are you really buying into Jonah Goldberg’s “socialism is fascism” argument? Because Jonah Goldberg is a first class idiot.

Posted 31 Mar 2009 at 8:18 pm

Haha yeah that worked out really well for Lehman Brothers. Too bad they couldn’t get some of that time-traveling power that Barry exercised to save AIG during the Bush administration isn’t it? Do you even read the things you say?

In the end, Obama will assist the UAW in having the controlling interest in GM.

As long as we’re making up pretend scenarios with no evidence, In the end, Sarah Palin will assist the evangelicals in turning America into a Theocracy in which anyone who is not a Christian will be tortured and then executed, much like Ronald Reagan secretly wanted to do.

Posted 31 Mar 2009 at 8:27 pm

Nope, never been done before. Lending money isn’t “ownership”. The CEO serves at the behest of the board and stock holders, not the creditors.

No, I’m not making a socialist-fascist argument. I’m saying he can’t make up his mind. It is fascist to dictate to corps who will be their CEOs. Yet, it is socialist to take over AIG.

Of course, you being a “libertarian” know that, right?

I see you’re ignorant of Barry’s cozzy relationship with AIG. They sure gave him the big bucks and they got the government money.

But you being a libertarian know that, right?

And Goldberg is a lot smarter than you. Thus, if he’s the idiot you say he is, I feel sorry for you Mr. Funny.

Posted 31 Mar 2009 at 9:46 pm

So in your world, George W Bush (who actually bailed out AIG) is a socialist and Barrack Obama is a fascist.

Barry can’t dictate to GM who their CEO will be. He can, however, let them know that if their current CEO doesn’t resign (and, if you look at Waggoner’s record, why would you want to keep him?), then the US government has no interested in bailing it out of its self-induced death spiral.

(I believe this is the part where you pretend that GM’s failure is all the UAW’s fault.)

That Barry really must be Christ returned if he can flex his executive power back in time to September, two months before he was elected and five months before he took office, and bail out AIG. He truly is the water-walker. Shouldn’t you be changing your religion to Obamism with the demonstration of such miracles? Compared to time travel, turning water into wine is child’s play.

Hahaha you’ve made me laugh at you twice in the same day! On the internet! Jonah Goldberg is a half-literate buffoon who had the fortune of being the son of Linda Tripp’s literary agent. He actually believes that liberalism = fascism. And (some small number of) conservatives take him seriously!

Posted 31 Mar 2009 at 10:37 pm

Dan, you have a nasty edge to you that I feel isn’t really appreciated by all who come to Brigette’s blog.

May I suggest you tone down your nastiness?

It’s just a suggestion Dan.

Posted 31 Mar 2009 at 11:27 pm
  13. Rob Kerns wrote:

Brigette,
    Please do your taxes. The work disadvantaged, labor unions, and Nancy Pelosi need your money. I’m sure Bowden works hard and he should share in his fortune with those who do not….. ????

Posted 01 Apr 2009 at 2:24 am

May I suggest you tone down your nastiness?

It’s just a suggestion Dan.

Do you ever actually read the things you write before hitting the post button? You called me an idiot just two posts ago and I refrained from responding in kind and made a joke instead. You repeatedly call anyone who made a mistake or even contradicted an opinion you hold sacred a liar.

I mean, you called George W Bush a socialist and Barrack Obama a fascist and insinuated (multiple times) that I’m not a real libertarian because I don’t conform to your narrow notion of what a libertarian is just about 6 hours ago and *I’m* the one who’s nasty just because I called a guy who’s famous for being idiotic an idiot?

Posted 01 Apr 2009 at 3:44 am

Ugh, you had started it. I shouldn’t have said it if I did.

I’d just hate to see you banned from this blog Dan.

Do you get my drift Dan? Just tone it down Buddy. Okay?

Hope you’re day is going well buddy.

Posted 01 Apr 2009 at 5:21 am

Ugh, you had started it. I shouldn’t have said it if I did.

I started it? Your first post in this thread accused me of defending both socialism and fascism and of being dishonest about being a libertarian. I didn’t say anything personal about you at all in deference to Brigette’s request.

I’d just hate to see you banned from this blog Dan.

I’m rolling my eyes at you on the internet.

Do you get my drift Dan? Just tone it down Buddy. Okay?

I always keep an even tone Bowden. Maybe you should look in the mirror Pal. Okay Brother? Bowden?

Hope you’re day is going well buddy.

I hope your day is going well too compadre.

Posted 01 Apr 2009 at 3:32 pm

Not to worry, Rob. Tio Sam, as the Santa Fe New Mexican calls him, got his pound of flesh, and soon hopefully poor Nancy can get her posh new jet and be done with all those pesky refueling stops. I know if I had to stop in one of those ghastly places in the middle of the country when I flew on my private jet, it would be simply unbearable. I mean, really, looking out at all those Wal-Marts and Cracker Barrels as her plane descends. God. Does life get any worse than that?

Posted 02 Apr 2009 at 3:14 am