The New Mexico Independent‘s newest columnist

Today marks the debut of my column in the New Mexico Independent. My political commentary will be published every Tuesday, a lone conservative voice meant to bring some diversity of opinion to a publication whose other columnists….well, let’s just say it may be no accident that the commentary is on the left column of the front page. For example, a recent piece by Arthur Alpert is entitled, “When you hear ‘socialist’ epithets, think ‘common good’ instead.” If you’re a regular reader of this blog, you know that my contributions to the New Mexico Independent will indeed bring diversity.

Today’s commentary takes on the DNC talking point currently making the rounds of progressive media mouthpieces, viz., that Republicans have no concrete policy ideas and do nothing but throw childish temper tantrums and scream “No!” at the mature and sagacious Pelosi-Reid-Obama policy proposals.

Fortunately, we have a Republican in statewide office here in New Mexico who gives the lie to the talking points. Read the whole story here.

1. Grue in the Attic wrote:

Congratulations!!

Posted 10 Mar 2009 at 8:59 pm
  2. Jim Scarantino wrote:

That’s a great photo for your column, Brigette. I keep plugging you for an appearance on The Line. Any public official, Dem or Republican, who turns in a performance like Pat Lyons deserves recognition. I look forward to your columns, which, unlike Mr. Alpert’s treacle, I intend to read regularly.

Posted 11 Mar 2009 at 1:21 am
  3. MIT Mommy wrote:

Congratulations! And, well deserved, might I add. That is awesome.

Posted 11 Mar 2009 at 2:43 am

Thanks to all.

I obviously agree about recognition for Lyons, Jim, but as you can see from the comments over at NMI, he’s getting more accusations of corruption and cronyism than credit for a job well done. A great pity, since as far as I can tell, there is no substance to any of the criticisms.

Posted 11 Mar 2009 at 5:33 am

Congrats on the column. The NMI needs a conservative voice and that former GOP State House member they had (I want to say Dan McKay?) was awful and didn’t seem aware that people outside of the right wing echo chamber aren’t going to accept GOP talking points as the factual basis for an article.

For constructive criticism I’d just say that the little aside about McCain’s musical tastes were pretty pointless. It may also be worth noting what exactly is is that Lyons has done to increase revenues – is it some specific land development policy or is it just a result of the increased petroleum development & extraction which was a private industry reaction to historically high oil prices last year?

Posted 11 Mar 2009 at 5:12 pm

Don’t you know pointless little asides like that are an integral part of my style? It went toward the “do they think it’s 1978 or something” comment that whoever it was (Robinson, I think?) made.

Posted 11 Mar 2009 at 7:52 pm