Santa Fe Tea Party

On April 15, the day our hard-earned money has to be sent to the IRS so Barack Obama and a Democratic Congress can spend it on more corporate bail-outs, mortgage relief for people who bought homes they couldn’t afford, socialized medicine, tax-payer funded abortions and a host of other worthy causes, concerned citizens in Santa Fe will be having a Tea Party.

Not the kind where you sip tea and eat watercress sandwiches and make polite small talk. The kind conservatives around the country have been having for the past couple of months. If you live in or around Santa Fe (or elsewhere in New Mexico but would like to make the trip and join us) and feel the way I do about the government spending hemorrhage, please join us at the Santa Fe Plaza from 5:00 to 6:30.

Children are very welcome — there will be face painting and other activities for them, with a Mad Hatter Tea Party theme. Kids and adults are welcome to dress up as Alice, the Mad Hatter, Queen of Hearts or other favorite characters. I’ll be there with my kids, and the more the merrier.

There will also be live music and speakers including Former New Mexico Governor Gary Johnson and others to be announced shortly. I’ll update when I have more information, and you can also check he Santa Fe Tea Party’s own blog.

If you’re a reader of my blog and would like to say hello in person, this is a good time to do it. My picture runs with my New Mexico Independent columns, so you’ll be able to recognize me — except that my hair probably won’t look as nice as it does in the picture and I’ll have four kids climbing all over me saying, “Mom, mom, mom,” pretty much constantly. The three who can talk anyway. The other one will be trying to pull my earrings out if I’m foolish enough to wear them.

Come one, come all. I hope to see you there.

1. Grue in the Attic wrote:

There’s already been one out here in Tempe that I managed to be able to attend. There’s another coming ’round on Tax Day, but as that’s a Wednesday I’ll be otherwise occupied.

Have fun!

Posted 02 Apr 2009 at 6:56 pm
  2. Jim Scarantino wrote:

Good luck. I will be broadcasting the Albuquerque Tea Party on AM 1550. Hope you get some good press coverage.

Posted 03 Apr 2009 at 7:14 pm
  3. Rob Kerns wrote:

Brigette,
    I wish we could be there. Best of luck!

Posted 07 Apr 2009 at 4:21 pm
  4. Laurie Russell wrote:

Brigette,
    I wonder if we are related?? We attended the sign party…will be there!!

Posted 11 Apr 2009 at 5:50 pm
  5. Pat Carnohan wrote:

Where and what time is the 4/15 Santa Fe tea party to be. Is someone providing signs. I’d like one to read:

Obama/Palosi/Reid=Socialism NO

Constitution YES

Posted 12 Apr 2009 at 10:15 pm
  6. Linda wrote:

My husband and I will be there and I’m glad to see people who understand what is happening in America. Obama was cited as a new member of the Progessive Socialist Party before he changed to the Democratic party. If you’ve read “Liberal Fascism”, “FDR’s Folly” “The Wealth and Poverty of Nations”, Liberty and Tyranny” etc. you understand the Liberal/Socialism agenda has been an encroaching scum for the past 70 years. Wilson was by all definitions a fascist and all democrat presidencies since, have further eroded American Constitutional rights and increased government’s control. The uninformed sing “Kumbiya” and put on rose colored glasses of “hope and change”. That was Hitler’s mantra as well. If people don’t speak out against tyranny they’ll wake up and be oppressed.

Posted 13 Apr 2009 at 5:27 pm

Pat, the where and when is in the text of my blog post, but it’s Wed., April 15, 5:00-6:30 at the Santa Fe Plaza. And yes, there will be signs. In fact, there’s a sign making party tomorrow night (Tues., April 14) at Whole Hog Cafe on Cerrillos Rd. from 5 to 8 p.m.

Laurie, if we’re related, it’s by marriage. My maiden name is Ford. My husband’s family came from Ida Grove, Iowa. Are those your Russells? I was at the first sign party, too, with all four of my daughters. We didn’t get there until around 6:30 though.

Linda, Laurie, Pat and everyone else — look forward to seeing you there.

Posted 13 Apr 2009 at 8:22 pm
  8. Ryan Lawless wrote:

i’m in crucial need to talk to someone about taxes. i’m a student,make8dollarsahourandpaytheirs500ayearbecauseofclaiming1onmyw-4forms.ifeellikeiminmoredebtdaybydaywithloans,HOUSEBILLS,tution,ANDtheIRSespeacially and im ONLY20YEARSOLD. I SHOULDN’T ALREADY HAVE 5,000 DOLLARS IN DEBT IF IM A STUDENT AND STILL GET CLAIMMED BY MY PARENTS. I FEEL VERY DEMORALIZED, WHO CAN I TALK TOO?

Posted 16 Apr 2009 at 2:40 am
  9. Ryan Lawless wrote:

THIS MIGHT NOT SOUND LIKE ALOT BUT MY PARENTS ARE NOT RICH AND IM NOT EITHER. I WOULD LIKE TO UNDERSTAND THE RIGHT INFORMATION ABOUT THE PATH I SHOULD TAKE WHEN I GIVE THEM MY INFORMATION ON MY CHECKS EARLY AND HOW MUCH I MAKE. THEN FIGURE OUT ABOUT WHAT I COULD MOST LIKELY NOT PAY OR WHAT I IM MOST LIKELY TO GET BACK. I’M SORRY FOR SOME, MY GENERATION IS CURSED WITH THE PARENTS AND TEACHERS NEVER TEACHING THEIR KIDS OR STUDENTS ABOUT TAXES.

Posted 16 Apr 2009 at 2:47 am

Ryan, I’m not sure exactly what you’re asking. You’re having too much money in taxes taken out of your paycheck because you only claim 1 exemption on your W-4?

The immediate solution, of course, is to increase the number of your exemptions. That will decrease the federal income tax withheld, but you’ll still have Social Security taxes taken out, and that can’t be changed. If you only make $8/hr you won’t owe any federal taxes and will get it all back after you file your return, but of course the SS withholding is gone, gone, gone — and there probably won’t be any Social Security to collect by the time you’re 65.

The long-term solution, of course, is to (1) educate yourself about politics and economics NOW, and (2) get involved in the political process and make your voice heard. I don’t know where you live, but if you contact your local Republican Party, I’m sure they would be thrilled to have a young person like you get involved.

Posted 16 Apr 2009 at 3:14 am