Bores and bullies need not apply

I’ve always had a completely open – you might even say liberal – comments policy. I wanted a free exchange of ideas on this blog. Unfortunately, my forum has turned into a bully pulpit, where a small number of left-wing radicals who despise everything I stand for mock my political and religious beliefs, bully others who post comments, call those with whom they disagree bigots, and generally make the comments section of my blog a very unpleasant place for the very great majority of my regular readers.

Many of these comments veer off the topic of the post to which they are attached, and turn into generic screeds denouncing President Bush, Rush Limbaugh, Dick Cheney or Republicans in general. This is inappropriate. Why? For the very simple reason that this isn’t your blog. If you want to write long harangues attacking me and the people I vote for, then get out your credit card and get your own domain. Or go spew your viotriol on Blogger for free. I really couldn’t care less. Just hear this: you’re done spewing it my dime.

One of these commenters recently admonished me that the internet is a public place, so basically I had better just STFU and take it. Well, sorry to disabuse you of your lofty ideals, my friend, but even though the internet is public, Moralia is not. Moralia is my own private cyberproperty. I pay for this bandwith, and if I don’t want to subsidize long, boring regurgitations of whatever that idiot Keith Olbermann said last night, that’s my business. It has nothing to do with freedom of speech, and everything to do with private property rights.

So, if you’re too cheap to buy your own domain and don’t want to set up a Blogger account, then head on over to Democratic Underground or the Daily KOS and rage against the Republicans to your heart’s content.

If you disagree with me, you are more than welcome to voice that disagreement in my blog comments, but the rules are:

1) Don’t be an obnoxious bully. This means no calling names, no accusing everyone who disagrees with you a bigot, no mockery that crosses the line of good taste.

2) Don’t bore me. Keep it concise and on topic, and don’t repeat the same tired old accusations you’ve made in comments 800 times before on my other posts.

I will start deleting obnoxious, bullying, or boring comments as of today. Who decides what’s obnoxious and boring? Why, I do, of course. Moralia is not a democracy where the rabble rule the roost. It is the most benevolent of monarchies, and you know what that makes me.

1. MITMommy wrote:

Well spoken, Queen Brigette!! I fear I couldn’t possibly keep up with you of late, but I was sorry to read the title of this post. Wit and wisdom is far more convincing anyway – if they listen to you, you are doing them a service.

And, of course, a VERY Happy Mother’s Day to you!

Posted 08 May 2009 at 11:40 pm
  2. Julia wrote:

God save the Queen!

Posted 09 May 2009 at 12:29 am
  3. Bev wrote:

THANK YOU! Love your blog, hate the bullies.

Happy Mother’s Day!

Posted 09 May 2009 at 12:30 am
  4. Foxfier wrote:

*snort*

Oh, nice, a personal attack!

See, this is why my comment box has a warning over the top that translates into:
    I am not a nice person. Piss me off, I’ll delete you.

A truly neutral observer would note that there’s a reason that the old curse says “may you live in interesting times.”

As a bonus, an incorrect correction! The “bully” in bully pulpit is in the Teddy meaning– and if this wasn’t a grand ol’ place to rant, why on earth would it be so popular to the bully boy bores? (nice on rephrasing the wiki quick search, though! Maybe you should’ve followed through and read the rest, which mentions the ‘off topic’ part referred to by our host.)

Posted 09 May 2009 at 1:11 am
  5. Rob Kerns wrote:

Good move, Brigette!
    If you don’t love it, leave it? Fine with me. I love it.

Posted 09 May 2009 at 2:06 am
  6. Rob Kerns wrote:

BTW, happy Mother’s Day… 4 times?

Posted 09 May 2009 at 2:07 am

Hitting the delete button that first time felt good, I have to tell you. Though now no one will understand what you’re saying about bullies and the bully pulpit. As most of you must know, I of course know the meaning of bully pulpit, and was deliberately using it as a pun with a double meaning.

Posted 09 May 2009 at 2:50 am

Hey John,

Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

;->

Posted 09 May 2009 at 3:00 am
  9. Lauren Cammack wrote:

Good for you, Brigette!

Posted 09 May 2009 at 11:02 pm
  10. John wrote:

See, the problem now is that the comments threads make no sense. The whole “bully pulpit” discussion has no context now. I stand by my original definition–I didn’t get that Brigette was punning. Very clever. And Foxfier: I don’t know what you’re talking about. I didn’t have to look at wikipedia to know basic English.

Will this get deleted? I don’t think it is as rude as, say, Bowden’s immature comment. Or does the new comments policy just mean you delete all comments that aren’t completely in agreement with you? Up to you, but I still think it makes your blog less interesting. The comments threads are what make blogs in general different from, say, a printed editorial.

Posted 10 May 2009 at 4:00 am
  11. John wrote:

Thinking further about it–yes, you’re all right, I really should get a life–what you need is a way to pre-emptively block all commenters you don’t like. Perhaps this is an option–I’m not familiar with whatever blogging software you use. Then you wouldn’t have the problem of having a whole string of comments responding to a comment which you subsequently delete. Just tryin’ to leave your blog a little bit better than when I found it….

Posted 10 May 2009 at 4:29 am
  12. Foxfier wrote:

John, John S, or whatever you’d like to call yourself–
    if you’re too stupid to understand what I wrote, you’re even dumber than I thought.

Posted 10 May 2009 at 4:33 am
  13. Foxfier wrote:

BTW– see the way my name is underlined, even on firefox?

That means it’s a link. You don’t have to google for my blog.

Posted 10 May 2009 at 4:34 am
  14. John wrote:

Foxfier, I’m not interested in arguing with you. I don’t know you and you haven’t said anything substantive, so why would I care what you think? I’m sure your comment calling me stupid will be deleted under the new policy soon anyway.

Posted 10 May 2009 at 5:11 am
  15. Foxfier wrote:

I will start deleting obnoxious, bullying, or boring comments as of today. – the rules

Claiming that “basic English” led you to a near identical phrasing as the wiki article snippet that comes up when googling the phrase, as well as your inability to understand the above quoted rule, does nothing for your implied claim that my saying you are stupider than I thought is incorrect.

Posted 10 May 2009 at 6:48 am
  16. JT wrote:

Happy Mother’s Day, Brigette!

Sorry that I go off topic and can be nasty to other posters. I can be a vicious bastard sometimes.

I like your blog.

Posted 11 May 2009 at 12:10 am
  17. Catmoves wrote:

Hello Brigette. Interesting topic and probably needed to be written.
    Those of us who use blogger have an edge on those who don’t, I believe.
    Our blogs can be set up so that we can approve any comments and simply delete those that are advertising, bullying or pointless. And have a happy Mother’s Day, too.

Posted 11 May 2009 at 1:25 am
  18. Pot War wrote:

Does this mean you can’t call a bigot a bigot?

Posted 11 May 2009 at 1:56 am

Does this mean you can’t call a bigot a bigot?

If someone on this blog writes something along the lines of, say, “I can’t stand black people and it just burns me up that we elected one of them POTUS,” you may call them bigot all you like, assuming I don’t delete their post before you get to it.

If, however, you start throwing around the b-word based on the Janeane Garofalo definition of bigotry, well, then you may find your comment deleted.

Posted 11 May 2009 at 4:29 am
  20. Foxfier wrote:

*sniffle* No name-calling? We can’t use accusatory words as clubs?

But what if the only possible reason you’d disagree with me is that you’re a sexist, racist, hate-filled homophobe evil person?!?!

(alright, I’m a bit angry that “homophobia” is in my spell check….)

Posted 11 May 2009 at 4:32 pm

You, Foxfier, as a veteran who risked your life for our country when most of us are too selfish or too scared to do so, get one free “call names with impunity” card per week. :-)

Posted 11 May 2009 at 11:56 pm
  22. Foxfier wrote:

The Navy’s cooking is pretty scary. ;^p

Posted 12 May 2009 at 1:02 am
  23. yvonne wrote:

Wow. You think you’re quite the sophisticate, don’t you? Enjoy your echo chamber.

Posted 10 Apr 2010 at 10:30 am