Ben Ray Lujan among the most far left in Congress

Today my NMI column discusses northern New Mexico’s Congressman, Ben Ray Lujan, was one of a small House minority voting against an amendment to prevent federal money being used to employ illegal aliens. The issue was such a no-brainer that the Democrat-controlled House voted 349-84 in favor of the amendment, with both other New Mexico Democrats (Martin Heinrich and Harry Teague) voting yes.

And what about my fellow New Mexicans, Ben Ray’s constituents? Why, they were too busy watching Michael Jackson retrospectives on TV to care.

1. Towanda wrote:

I emailed Ben Ray about the *global warming* *energy* bill and asked him to vote no. I wonder how many faxes, emails and phone calls he received about that one – and yet he voted yes. So much for listening to your constituents in a representative republic.

Posted 01 Jul 2009 at 8:04 pm

Of course he voted yes. Your voice and mine are drowned out by all those people who keep writing letters to the editor in the SFNM about Dick Cheney’s crimes (um, he’s gone, can we move on, please?) and how Haliburton is still running the country, etc., etc.

Posted 01 Jul 2009 at 8:06 pm
  3. Towanda wrote:

Just stopped back here to let you know I received a long rambling reply from Rep. Lujan answering the email I sent him. Well, it wasn’t much of an answer – it was the usual form letter..”I’m sorry we disagree but……”

I am thinking of sending him another email and asking him one question: “How much of the bill would you say you actually READ prior to your vote? And please don’t send a form letter – a one sentence reply answering my question would be sufficient.” I wonder if I would get a response. haha

Posted 03 Jul 2009 at 2:49 pm

That’s a question EVERY citizen ought to be asking his/her congressman. Please do write and ask him. I can’t wait to hear what he says.

Posted 03 Jul 2009 at 4:11 pm
  5. Towanda wrote:

Okay, the email has been sent….let’s see what kind of response I receive.

Posted 03 Jul 2009 at 9:51 pm
  6. Towanda wrote:

Okay, it has been six days since I sent the email — I have gotten no response whatsoever, not even an acknowledgement that he got the mail. I’m not real surprised.

Posted 09 Jul 2009 at 3:03 pm