Can big government make us thin?

I’m posting the link to my NMI column late, since I was traveling back to New Mexico today, and it wasn’t up yet before I left for the airport.

Since I was in vacation mode, I had no idea what to write for NMI this week.  I had been trolling the internet for something other than Professor Gates, Sarah Palin and Obama’s birth certificate (ye gods, not going there for all the tea in China, thanks all the same) when lo and behold, I found this little gem right in my own New Mexican back yard (front page, actually).  So thanks to my very own senator, Jeff Bingaman, I had my column.

Senator Bingaman wants Uncle Sam to help us all get thin and healthy, and I while think it would be wonderful if his plan could actually succeed, I think that’s about as likely as me saying no to a green chile burger from El Parasol.

Don’t get me wrong — Bingaman’s right.  Americans are too fat.  A lot of us need to lose weight.  I mean really need to lose weight.  But I just don’t see more federal bureaucracy prying people off the couch and onto the treadmill.

Speaking of green chile burgers, I’d love one right now, because I’ve been in North Carolina for a week and they don’t make them there.  I had to settle for ribs, hush puppies and sweet tea instead.  I’ll be pretty bummed when Congress finally bans that sort of thing so we can all be thin and healthy.

1. Foxfier wrote:

I’ll worry about obesity when the gov’t doesn’t define my Marines– including female ones whose body fat was so low they had to raise it or risk health issues– as “obese.”

I can’t get my mind off an old joke.
    Guy in his fifties goes into the doctor’s and asks:
    “Doc, will I live to be eighty?”
    “Do you exercise?”
    “An hour a day!”
    “Do you drink?
    “No, not a drop.”
    “Do you smoke?”
    “Never!”
    “Do you chase women?”
    “Never in my life!”
    “Do you eat rich foods?”
    “Goodness, no.”
    “Why do you WANT to live that long?”

Posted 29 Jul 2009 at 5:36 am

Hah! Why indeed?

Seriously, I do think obesity is a terrible problem in this country. I just don’t think there’s a tremendous lot the gov’t can do about it.

Posted 29 Jul 2009 at 5:46 am

I just don’t think there’s a tremendous lot the gov’t can do about it.

Oh really? In England, the government can deny you access to health care if you are “Obese”.

Just wait till Obama Care passes and they ration it the same way here.

Posted 30 Jul 2009 at 1:40 am
  4. Patrick wrote:

I could do with a green chile burger, too. But I want that and sweet tea and hush puppies. Maybe I’m part of the problem?

Posted 03 Aug 2009 at 11:26 am

With all the hush puppies and sweet tea we put away at that BBQ joint a couple of weeks ago, I think we’re BOTH part of the problem!

Posted 03 Aug 2009 at 9:49 pm
  6. Marla Singer wrote:

Ha-The government is part of the reason why we are so fat. They have ties to Monsanto which causes organic food to go up. Food companies use corn syrup instead of regular sugar because the government makes the price of sugar expensive. They also give poor diet advice like the food pyramid.

Posted 04 Aug 2009 at 8:54 pm

1. From Moralia - Solving the problems of the world, one crusade at a time on 04 Aug 2009 at 3:57 pm

[…] the newspapers may not be the next great crusade.  It may be the fight against obesity.  It may be the landfill crisis and the unbearable tragedy of free paper and plastic bags being […]