Facebook is killing my blog

Seriously. I have wasted more time on Facebook the past few days than I can believe. Maybe wasted isn’t the right word, because certainly it’s nice being able to keep up with what your friends and family are doing, but still, I really did blog a lot more before I started spending so much time there.

I never did write the Gosselin post I started last week. Or the post I’ve been mentally writing about the mass psychosis that seemed to afflict millions of people after Michael Jackson died, leading them into paroxysms of public mourning the likes of which I haven’t seen since Princess Di, and even that wasn’t this extreme. Or all the other posts I think of when I’m folding laundry or unloading the dishwasher or putting on make-up, then never get around to writing.

I was going to write a blog post using this quote

In the end they will lay their freedom at our feet, and say to us, “Make us your slaves, but feed us.” They will understand themselves, at last, that freedom and bread enough for all are inconceivable together, for never, never will they be able to share between them!

— Fyodor Dostoyevsky, The Grand Inquisitor from The Brothers Karamazov

as a jumping off point, but I posted it on Facebook instead.

Is Facebook evil, or am I just weak? The latter, I know. Alcohol, tobacco and sex aren’t intrinsically evil, but sometimes the things weak humans do with them are.

And now we’re off to Madrid, NM, which people here pronounce MAD-rid rather than ma-DRID for some reason I haven’t yet figured out. That means that tonight, the post I won’t find the time to write will be about MAD-rid.

Drat. I just Googled “facebook killing blog” and found this. And I thought I was being original. Nowadays, it’s nearly impossible to be original. As it says under my Facebook profile picture,

What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun. (Ecclesiastes 1:9)

1. Towanda wrote:

I spend way too much time on Facebook too. It’s just so tempting to go there a lot and see what family and friends are doing. I have learned to keep away from all the quizzes and games etc. THAT really gets time consuming!

Posted 09 Jul 2009 at 7:53 pm
  2. Maassive wrote:

Sign up for twitter. That’ll kill your facebook habit.

Posted 10 Jul 2009 at 12:23 am

Sort of like crack can help you kick your meth habit, you mean?

Posted 10 Jul 2009 at 12:25 am
  4. CGHill wrote:

Almost precisely that way, in fact.

Worse, I have an application called TweetDeck, which handles both Twitter and Facebook simultaneously. Up to now I’ve managed to avoid Facebook. Then again, up until two weeks ago I’d also managed to avoid Twitter.

Posted 10 Jul 2009 at 1:13 am
  5. Bryan wrote:

The person that had already posted about FB kill his blog sounds like an absolute genius! LOL

Actually I have it on good authority that he also thought it was HIS original idea but found thought a Google search that yet someone else had already posted on it as well.

Posted 10 Jul 2009 at 6:51 pm

Blogging Rule #17,005: always Google things you think you came up with first. I wrote a post called “‘Benedict Arlen” then Googled it and saw about 8,000 other people had as well, so linked to a couple of them, thus acknowledging that I wasn’t trying to claim credit, but still had someone make a caustic remark in comments about how I wasn’t being original.

My “Get Back in the Kitchen, Sarah” post about Palin last fall was, however, the first to use that phrase. It started cropping up afterward, but not before I wrote my post.

Posted 12 Jul 2009 at 12:53 am
  7. Rob wrote:

I have to admit that fb is killing my reading your blog.

I have a friend who uses their fb to post links to their blog with a teaser. Probably not a bad idea, just an idea.

Posted 14 Jul 2009 at 2:22 am

But I do link to my blog on Facebook. Admit it, Rob, you’re just too addicted to Mafia Wars to be bothered reading some geeky policy wonk’s blog.

Posted 14 Jul 2009 at 6:11 am