Taking the finger instead of giving it

Used to be when people got mad, they might give you the finger.  Apparently, that’s old hat, and now they take the finger instead, in this case, biting it off:

California authorities say a clash between opponents and supporters of health care reform ended with one man biting off another man’s finger.

When I read the headline “Finger bitten off during California health protest,” I would have bet just about anything that the guy doing the biting was in favor of socialized medicine, and sure enough, I was right.  What are the odds?

Isn’t it interesting how it’s always leftists bemoaning the decline of civilized political discourse?  You know, the leftists who routinely call us redneck, fascist and retarded?  Can you imagine what the hue and cry would have been if it had been an opponent of socialized medicine who bit off the finger of a supporter?  As it was not, the response from the left has been more muted.  Ben Smith reports that MoveOn called the incident “regrettable.”  Confederate Yankee‘s cleverly titled post — Yes We Can(nibal —  has a link to a Politics Daily story which actually reverses the parties to the incident, claiming that the conservative bit off the finger of the liberal.

In reactions from the right — I particularly liked Another Black Conservative’s post title:  Hungry for health care.  True to her name, Nice Deb doesn’t think Mark Steyn (or presumably anyone else) should be laughing about it. Malkin, Fausta a, The BlogProf, Red County and The Jawa Report also weigh in.

Not quite sure I get Wonkette‘s sarcasm, calling the biter “MoveOn.org Librul Monster” — emphasizing, perhaps, just how dumb we Republicans are, I guess?  Maybe some of us can’t spell liberal, but at least most of us aren’t cannibals.  Then again, the MoveOn.org Librul didn’t actually consume the finger (it was reattached at the hospital) so I guess you can’t really call him a cannibal.  What, then?  Truly, words (even misspelled ones) fail in this case.

I’ve been trying to get this posted before someone else uses my title.  Riehl World View almost did, but not quite.  Speaking of titles, McCain gives Yes We Can(nnibal) the Blog Headline of the Day Week Decade award.  Definitely more than day or week, but I’ll have to give it a few years before I say decade.  As I wrote above, however, it’s awfully good.   I’d say finger lickin’ good, but Nice Deb might slap my wrist.

1. Bev wrote:

I just hope both of those people had good insurance.

Posted 03 Sep 2009 at 7:57 pm
  2. Bev wrote:

I just hope both of those people had good insurance, and attorneys.

Posted 03 Sep 2009 at 7:57 pm
  3. Ivan Tolstoyov wrote:

Typical leftist behavior. Will the Lame-stream media cover this story?

Doubt it. The left has really lost it’s mind. I think they know 2010 will be a disaster for them and they’re acting out of frustration.

Posted 03 Sep 2009 at 8:58 pm
  4. Nice Deb wrote:

I just cringe every time I think of that poor old man getting his finger bitten off

Posted 03 Sep 2009 at 9:46 pm
  5. Foxfier wrote:

I think “librul” is in the same vein as “Amurica”– humorous spelling-as-it’s-commonly-said.

I just can’t believe the SOB actually got away– *I* would’ve tackled the SOB, and I’m tiny and pregnant…. All I can figure is folks must’ve simply not believed their eyes.

Posted 04 Sep 2009 at 12:20 am

I know, Deb, it’s awful. It really is. I think one can have a lot of sympathy for him on a personal level while still appreciating the absurdity factor in the story.

Posted 04 Sep 2009 at 3:29 am

I like how you omitted the fact that the guy who got his finger bit off actually attacked the biter first. I guess that doesn’t fall into your little narrative though. I can’t say that I personally would resort to biting in a fracas but then again I’ve never been attacked by some right wing wackjob for no reason like the biter was.

Posted 08 Sep 2009 at 4:27 am

When someone punches you, do you punch back or bite off an appendage?

Posted 08 Sep 2009 at 9:36 pm

BFD. The guy admitted he threw the first punch, unlike most liberals who’ll lie through their false teeth about it. You get in someone’s face like the Moveon.org guy was doing, you bet you’re going to get a knuckle sandwich in return with most conservative men.

But in the world of real men, you don’t resort to MAIMING your opponent in a fist-fight like the Moveon.org punk did. Biting a man’s finger off, disgusting!

But I expect nothing less from liberals now that they are calling the shots, own both the Congress and White House.

Man is 2010 going to be a hoot. All that liberal “euphoria” will be going down the toilet, where it belongs in the first place.

Posted 09 Sep 2009 at 9:54 pm

I, too, think its very manly to sucker punch someone else for having different political beliefs than me and then engaging in a gang beating of the person I punched until that person manages to fight back by biting my finger off.

Doubly hilarious that this typical thug Republican wackjob didn’t have health insurance.

Posted 09 Sep 2009 at 11:07 pm

Hey, I know, let’s ask the guy from Moveon.org what happened! Oh, that’s right, the finger-licken’-good coward won’t show up and tell us his side of the story. But, we have Dan who can tell us just what went down as he is all knowing.

Ugh, Dan, I think the guy is on medicare and most people don’t carry insurance as soon as they are on or about to go on medicare.

Posted 10 Sep 2009 at 3:51 am

Am I to understand that this thug relied on single-payer government health insurance to get his finger reattached? I am always so shocked when it turns out republicans are total hypocrites.

Except, you know, not at all surprised.

Posted 10 Sep 2009 at 9:53 pm

Except, you know, not at all surprised.

Dan, you obviously don’t have a real-job or know what it is like to work for a living.

You cannot “opt out” of medicare. The U.S. govenrment takes medicare taxes out of your paycheck each and every pay period. You are forced to accept medicare.

Your pseudo “outrage” over this man accepting medicare is unimpressive. You are the one who defends an oppresive government which FORCES people to accept medicare and Social Security.

They’ve taken over $120,000 from me in SS taxes so I will accpet that money, if Obama and the Democrats haven’t bankrupted the nation and the fund by the time I’m 62 that is.

That man deserves medicare as they’ve stolen the money from him in the first place. Oh, you forgot the forced aspect of medicare didn’t you?

Posted 11 Sep 2009 at 12:41 am

PS Tell you what, Make SS and Medicare optional, you know like in “Freedom”, give me back my $120,000 and what ever they’ve taken from me in medicare, and I’ll not bother the government any more.

Does that sound fair?

Posted 11 Sep 2009 at 12:42 am

If you hate government so much Bowden you should move to a minimal government conservative paradise like Somalia.

The fact that you still somehow think that Social Security and Medicare are some kind of government savings plan for your future and not social safety nets is precious.

Posted 11 Sep 2009 at 2:54 pm

Wow, talk about dodging the argument! If you’re opposed to corporate welfare Dan, that means you’re also opposed to all the money we’ve been pouring down the toilet w/r/t alternative energy? Right Dan? You’re opposed to the billions we’ve poured down the solar-rat-hole, right?

Dan, what is the US obligation currently for SS and Medicare? Can you tell us this number Dan?

Posted 11 Sep 2009 at 5:26 pm

No, I’m opposed to the tens Trillions we’ve poured down the oil hole meddling in Middle Eastern and South American affairs (usually in the form of propping up dictators or funding outright terrorists) to maintain our artificially cheap oil lifestyle and acted as de facto corporate welfare for oil companies. I support the effort to make renewable energy sources (including nuclear) financially feasible.

Back to your support of minimal government (excepting of course your support of the largest and most exponentially most expensive military in the history of the planet and government-enforced religion based morality), please name a single country in the world that has the minimalist government that you favor and isn’t a poverty stricken chaotic hellhole.

The US obligation is for Social Security and Medicare is irrelevant. Neither are a savings plan for you or yours and the sooner you start accepting that the sooner you’ll be able to get on with your life without being so angry all the time.

Why do you include my name in every single sentence Bowden? Bowden, its really annoying and makes you look like a clown, Bowden.

Posted 11 Sep 2009 at 10:48 pm

I totally agree with you. Let’s withdraw all federal funds from everything, including oil, wasteful alternative energy (which I’ve yet to hear you denounce), education (not a Federal government responsibility mind you), etc.

But we can’t because Obama is the sock-puppet of Wall Street, the banks, Big Ag (ADM), Goldman Sachs, JPMorgan, Citigroup, etc. They have the interest in the ME and Obama has to dance to their tune and sell us down the river for them.

If you’re against the sort of crap that happened in the Bush years with big corporations running the place, your head will spin when you see the list of Obama’s 2008 campaign donors.

Here you go Dan:

Posted 11 Sep 2009 at 11:35 pm

Why do you include my name in every single sentence Bowden? Bowden, its [sic] really annoying and makes you look like a clown, Bowden.

1) Insulting my husband on my blog is rude.

2) Even the great and powerful Dan, who mocks others who type too fast and don’t proofread, can make punctuation errors in his haste to mock my spouse.

Posted 12 Sep 2009 at 12:49 am

That’s okay Brigette, last spring he mocked me for typing too fast and now, like a good Demoncat he makes similar errors and apparently thinks it’s “okay” for him to get away with it.

Dan, it’s good to have you back. You really drive up Brigette’s hits on her blog.

Don’t go away again. Ever!

;->