Michelle Malkin vs. Adam Kokesh

Adam Kokesh is a candidate in the Republican primary for a New Mexico Congressional seat that Republicans virtually never win.  Third District GOP candidates rarely make it onto the radar screens of the Big Guns of the national political scene.  To be sure, Michelle Malkin is one of those Big Guns, and the day before yesterday, she fixed her cross-hairs on Adam Kokesh.

Congratulations, Adam.  When Michelle Malkin picks on you, you’ve hit big time.

Malkin calls Kokesh “an anti-war smear merchant in GOP clothing” and urges her readers who have friends and family in New Mexico to “make sure they know who the real Adam Kokesh is.”

Does Ms. Malkin, I wonder, know who “the real Adam Kokesh” is?  I’m  not sure, but I’d guess she doesn’t know Mr. Kokesh personally.  When I see Adam at the New Mexico State GOP Convention tomorrow, I’ll ask him.  Because, you see, I do know Adam Kokesh.

Michelle Malkin has no doubt read the anti-Kokesh smears circulating on Free Republic, and has seen photos of him at anti-war protests, and believes that he dishonors the U.S. Marine Corps uniform he once wore by his anti-war activism.  I believe, on the other hand, that when Adam Kokesh volunteered as a Marine and then risked life and limb serving in Iraq, he earned the right to say whatever he damn well pleases about that war.  I may disagree with him about whether the U.S. should immediately pull all of our troops out of Iraq, but I would never presume to call a man who fought in that war unpatriotic.

What Michelle Malkin has not seen is Adam Kokesh driving up and down the highways of New Mexico building a grassroots campaign organization that is stronger than that any other Republican has built in our 3rd district in recent memory.  She has not seen him at high schools and colleges and Indian reservations and VFW meetings and Republican county meetings and candidate forums and Tea Parties and just about anyplace else New Mexicans gather.  I have seen Adam at more Santa Fe political events than any other candidate who is running for state or national office this year.  I can’t imagine how he keeps up the pace, but keep it up he does.

New Mexico’s 3rd Congressional District is generally considered a lost cause for Republicans, and it is difficult to get good candidates to spend their time and money running for a seat that they have historically had little hope of winning.  Bill  Redmond did it in the special election of 1997 due to a lucky confluence of circumstances, but he was promptly ousted the next year by Democrat Tom Udall.  When Udall left the seat to run successfully for the U.S. Senate, Democrat Ben Ray Luján, who had little to recommend him as a candidate, beat Republican Dan East handily, even with liberal independent candidate Carol Miller siphoning off some of his votes.

Perhaps Michelle Malkin doesn’t mind if Ben Ray Luján, who has voted in perfect lock-step with President Obama’s leftist agenda,  is re-elected to the seat this November.  But I’m a New Mexican, and I do mind.  For the first time since 1997, this district actually has a viable Republican candidate, a candidate who works like I’ve never seen a candidate work, and has built one of the best campaign organizations I’ve ever seen.

Malkin calls his anti-war activism unpatriotic, but it is precisely his anti-war credentials that just may win over enough liberals in this district to elect him.   Northern New Mexico is dominated by Santa Fe, “the City Different,” which is as left-wing as Berkeley or Santa Monica, California.  A Congressional candidate who echoes Glen Beck and Rush Limbaugh on every issue doesn’t stand a snowball’s chance in hell of getting elected here.  Adam Kokesh does.

1. Marta Nystrom wrote:

Wow, excellent rebuttal.

Posted 12 Mar 2010 at 10:16 pm

Malkin is a good soldier and will carry the water of the Establishment when told to do so.

Secondly, she should keep her nose out of New Mexican politics because we’ve had enough heart-break from the neo-cons to last us a life-time.

Posted 13 Mar 2010 at 2:45 am

I like most of what MM has to say, and I understand it’s difficult to be informed of the deeper context on every story on which she comments. Her staff just didn’t do enough legwork on the Kokesh story. I realize the photos of him at the protests are incendiary and can see why she was outraged, but in the context of what’s going on in the NM political scene, it just doesn’t make sense to reject him as damaged goods when he’s the GOP’s only hope in the race.

Posted 13 Mar 2010 at 3:00 am
  4. Mark wrote:

Bridgette, we can’t let the RINO’s convince us that simply because they are the lesser of two evils, we should vote for them.

We need to stand our ground, and I for one will never vote for someone who is capable of marching with an upside-down flag.

Posted 13 Mar 2010 at 1:44 pm
  5. Towanda wrote:

Bowden, I understand where you are coming from with your comment:

“she should keep her nose out of New Mexican politics because we’ve had enough heart-break from the neo-cons to last us a life-time”

but I don’t agree.

I DO think Michelle Malkin needs to butt out of New Mexico politics and let the people here decide the election — BUT I don’t think the “neo-cons” have been breaking hearts in New Mexico – I don’t believe ANY branch of the conservative movement has had enough of an impact in New Mexico to break any hearts here. The heart-breakers in New Mexico have always been the Democrats, who have been dragging this state down for years now.

Posted 13 Mar 2010 at 3:12 pm
  6. TSO at TAH wrote:

I do know Kokesh, and have talked to him on numerous occasions, and he’s still a lying bucket of fried turds. When he got busted he turned to the peace movement as a way out of just being a guy busted in the Marine Corps. He slandered all of us that fought in GWOT, and he continues to do so.

And anyone who could vote to send a guy who stores his piss in a fridge to Congress deserves whatever they get.

Posted 13 Mar 2010 at 10:01 pm
  7. @JustHearSay wrote:

TSO at TAH
    Instead of name calling could you say why you think he’s a liar?

Posted 14 Mar 2010 at 4:27 am
  8. vanzorge wrote:

kokesh has a long history of alliances with the radical anti-america left, he has no personal qualifications or accomplishments that would recommend him for congress, he tries to hide his radical past……………….. sounds eerily like obama,doesn’t it?

kokesh is no republican

Posted 14 Mar 2010 at 11:02 am
  9. Towanda wrote:

vanzorge – Have you ever listened to Adam Kokesh speak? While I do not agree with him on every issue, he basically promotes an agenda I can support as a Republican….and no, he doesn’t sound ONE BIT like Obama. Kokesh is a constitutionalist; Obama is a socialist. And he is a far better choice then getting Ben Ray Lujían get entrenched in that office.

Posted 14 Mar 2010 at 2:05 pm
  10. TSO at TAH wrote:

OK, for starters he kept calling himself “Sergeant Kokesh” even after we repeatedly pointed out he was not a sergeant. At that time he started claiming that not only did he not do that, but he never had. Even when we showed that he referred to himself as Sergeant on his own blog, he kept insisting to others he had never done so.

Is that a lie good enough for you or no?

Posted 14 Mar 2010 at 8:24 pm

Towanda said,

A point of matter, neo-cons are not true conservatives in my opinion. They are internationalists at their core.

Posted 14 Mar 2010 at 9:14 pm
  12. Anok wrote:

As much as it pains me to say this – Malkin and Vanzorge are correct abut Kokesh. He was a very different activist two years ago – as I’m sure Vanzorge remembers well.

That’s when I supported him. Not now.

Now I have to go brush my teeth, as agreeing with Malkin leaves a bad taste in my mouth. But it is prudent to give credit where credit is due.

Posted 15 Mar 2010 at 3:33 am
  13. susan.pret wrote:

The people attacking Kokesh here are anti-American and anti-Republican.

Posted 15 Mar 2010 at 12:37 pm
  14. Barry Hess wrote:

I happen to know Adam, too. I’m a Libertarian in Arizona, and I support him for Congress without reservation. Why? Because Adam, like Dr. Paul, has real, honest-to-goodness principles which guide him–and I’ve never seen him flinch from them.

Adam served with distinction in the Marines. It was from actual, real live combat and comprehension that he has arrived at his positions. To say he dishonors the military ‘because’ he served proudly and bravely could only be said by someone lacking in their own courage, conviction or actual experience. He honors his brothers in the field, who are nothing but paeons for political chess players who don’t give a rat’s ass about our troops. When’s the last time you were on scene when a proud, brave soldier died, for nothing?

For the mental midget who bemoaned a flag being flown upsidedown–it’s NOT desicration…it’s the standard sign of DISTRESS. Adam knows the shape this nation is in.

To suggest Adam’s activism is somehow a ‘bad’ thing, could only be suggested by an armchair wanna-be. It’s because of people like this (party voters) who brought this nation to her knees…are you happy now? If you’re one, I’d suggest you are too much “Republican”–not enough American.

For some asshat to say something of saving piss in the fridge, does nothing but expose a lack of substance in arguing for/against Adam’s positions.

To say Adam isn’t a “Republican”, or a good man of his convictions, is to say “yes” means “no”. Only someone who doesn’t agree that Dr. Paul is the only real Republican in Congress, could come up with such tripe.

By the way, after working for President Reagan, and years of the “My team, right or wrong” nonsense, I recognized that the party left me.

Unlike Dr. Paul or Adam, I wasn’t willing to ‘help clean up the party’, to me, even if you clean up a cesspool–you still have a cesspool. From my perspective, there is absolutely no difference between a Republican or a Democrat.

You who are married to the cesspool should be VERY grateful that Dr. Paul or Adam are willing to speak the truth and stand up for America, ’cause if you don’t want them, we’d be privileged to have them.

Why not stop bad-mouthing, and just ask the questions you want answered, then make a personal choice?

Posted 15 Mar 2010 at 11:50 pm
  15. TSO at TAH wrote:

For the Mental Midget above, desecration is spelled incorrectly.

Posted 16 Mar 2010 at 11:22 am
  16. Citizen K wrote:

What about Kokesh’s involvement with Winter Soldier and IVAW and all of those phony soldiers?

Posted 16 Mar 2010 at 6:08 pm
  17. Nina wrote:

Michelle Malkin is “establishment?” Oh i don’t think so!

Posted 17 Mar 2010 at 5:24 am
  18. Asenath Kepler wrote:

We need new blood in the GOP and we have to invite those in who will help us intelligently debate the important issues. Adam Kokesh has my vote, because he dares to question the status quo, and will endeavor to bring us back to our constitutional roots. He is the only Republican congressional candidate who will successfully bring in those of other parties to support him in the general election. He has generated a lot of support among young people of Northern New Mexico and, by virtue of his fresh approach, has encouraged many of them to get involved in the political process. We need him on the ballot!

Posted 17 Mar 2010 at 9:42 pm
  19. jummy wrote:

you know, i’m not interested in re-debating the iraq war. i say this in no way intended to disregard the men and women volunteers who are still there, but that is a foregone matter and i think everyone across the political spectrum is in agreement that the only remaining goal in iraq is extraction.

and i can certainly buy the possibility of an anti-war conservative candidate. i’ve known many anti-war conservatives; none, incidentally, who were alex jones-type nwo nutcases. it’s a legitimate confluence of positions and i would never make a rule of delegitemizing a conservative for the sake of holding to an antiwar position, or on the basis of any single issue heterodoxy. my conservatism runs deeper than that.

(i would argue that the claim that being antiwar represents some sort of “in” with a lefty constituency is silly. a quick accounting of all of the che gueverra imagery and hamas flags at left-organized “antiwar” rallies serves to demonstrate that the left is not antiwar in principle. besides, progressives haven’t given two turds about the wars since 2005. an antiwar conservative is just a conservative vis a vis any coalition or constituency of the left.)

what i want everyone to do in considering the faithfulness of this kokesh character is to read again the comment left by Anok. now ask yourself this question: where’s cindy sheehan been lately?

you remember cindy sheehan. “mother sheehan”, who used to be paraded around by media benjamin and her castro-ite “code pink” group? maureen dowd conferred unto her “absolute moral authority”. she was the original “human shield” behind which every group from the american friends service committee to the revolutionary communist party would do their part to spread bogus war crimes stories and blockade domestic supply routs.

today, if you ask a progressive who knows what they think about “mother sheehan”, they’ll tell you: “who gives a flying f**k about that crazy bitch?”

the reason is because cindy sheehan evolved away from the left and into the paleo-libertarian fold. there was in this some sordid backstory about boinking lew rockwell, but it’s not my point to question the rational-ness of her migration from left to right.

my point is that ivaw was a marxist outfit, stewarded into existence by veterans of the vvaw, which itself was a construction of the maoist revolutionary union. it was a component of the same bogus “antiwar” movement of the left which was spearheaded by stalinist and attorney to saddam hussein, ramsey clarke.

if kokesh is now, by some turn, a paleo-libertarian antiwarrior, the rout he took was through the colon of the smelliest, stinkiest annals of the extreme left. if he made that intellectual journey, it’s worth interrogating what smelly, stinky, alex jones-ey rightwing nonsense he found compellingly radical enough to follow. and, for that matter, it’s worth questioning whether he made that journey in earnest at all.

and it’s worth questioning these things even if his is a doomed and conventionally inconsequential dark horse campaign, because it’s important to know who is trying to insinuate themselves into conservative politics and why.

Posted 19 Mar 2010 at 3:10 am
  20. Darkmetal wrote:

All I know is that Kokesh and some members of the Paulite fad seem to be selling themselves as members of the Tea Party, supporting the troops and honoring their service. In that light, is it honorable for Kokesh to tell mothers of Iraq soldiers that he hopes their sons die? Or to hold the American flag upside down? Or to tell soldiers to desert their posts?

What we are seeing is a merging of the far Left intent on weakening America and relabeling it “Republican”.

Nobody likes war, but war is sometimes needed. Nobody likes death, but enemies sometimes need to be killed. To disregard that fact is to embrace the Left’s Utopian belief that “If we could just love everyone, they would love us back”—sure, let’s do that.

What Marine would stand with the same people who surely would have thrown bags of urine and feces on our fighting men returning from Vietnam?

He has a name, Adam Kokesh.

Posted 04 Jun 2010 at 12:48 pm
  21. Divinryan wrote:

What Marta said.

Posted 06 Jan 2012 at 7:15 am
  22. Ute wrote:

Of course, if you want a successful blog, you have to be good at it.
    It takes a bit of time and typically some research as well to write a blog post,
    but your time is wasted if nobody reads it.

Posted 09 Feb 2014 at 6:56 pm