New Years Resolutions

I’ve always been ambivalent about New Year’s resolutions.  Some years I’ve made them, some years not.  Rarely do people keep them.  In tongue in cheek recognition of this, my friend Bob Cornelius wrote on Facebook last night:

1st Resolution: Go to the gym every day. 2nd: Feel guilty for not going. 3rd: Pie & ice cream!

Denial of food and imposition of exercise are probably the most commonly made – and broken – resolutions in our society, given that two thirds of Americans are overweight, and half of those are morbidly obese.  I used to make those diet and exercise resolutions when I was young and vain.  Now that I’m middle aged and vain, I no longer do, because I already eat well, exercise often, and wear the size I want to wear.

For 2012, I have only two resolutions.  The first is to try to respond to the failings of others – my children, family, friends, acquaintances, coworkers, and strangers – with empathy rather than anger.  When I snap at my daughters, they’re not the only ones who feel bad; it makes me feel terrible afterward.  When, on the other hand, I handle a difficult situation with patience, common sense and compassion, the feeling of satisfaction and well-being persists long after.  It is easy to be annoyed at people when they cause us inconvenience or embarrassment or pain, but we all fail, again and again, as we  stumble through the obstacle course that is life.

Recently, I tripped over one of those obstacles and took a pretty bad fall, one that pulled a friend down with me.  Instead of being angry and making me feel worse than I already did (which was really, really awful) she responded with compassion and forgiveness – not the “Oh, it’s all right, forget it,” said with a martyred sigh and rolled eyes kind of feigned forgiveness we see so often, but the real deal.  That is how I want to treat others – the way my friend treated me, the way we all want to be treated, the way that would make the world a better place if more of us did it more often.

My second resolution  is to respond to my own failings in the same way.  This one will be harder to keep, because I have always been a perfectionist, demanding of myself standards that no one could meet, and which I would never dream of demanding of others.  Since earliest childhood, whenever I did something wrong, I would relive the moment again and again, mortified, thinking of all the ways I could have avoided doing it, what I should have done instead, demanding of myself how I could have possibly done such a stupid thing, and vowing never to make a mistake like that again.

None of this ever helped me to avoid making more mistakes, of course.  I will go on making them, just as we all do.  We usually think of vanity in relation to physical attractiveness, but thinking that one can live an error-free life is the ultimate vanity.  And just as people who make unrealistic resolutions about eating 800 calories a day and going to the gym 7 days a week set themselves up for failure, so do people who demand perfection of themselves.  It amazes me that it took until this late in life for me to realize that.  I learned to put aside perfectionism and unrealistic demands about food and exercise many years ago, which is probably why I’m not part of the overweight two thirds who make and break diet resolutions every January 1, then make a bee-line for the pie and ice cream on January 15.

If I can make progress – not triumph, not resounding success, but real progress – this year toward putting aside perfectionism and unrealistic demands about myself and others, then it will be a year well spent.

1. cathleen wrote:

I Love it! I have not made any NY resolutions this year, but yours sound perfect for me as well. Your resolutions are now mine! Perhaps we can keep each other motivated to stick to it. Happy New Year!

Posted 01 Jan 2012 at 7:09 pm
  2. Jennifer wrote:

Totally agree! I never make resolutions because I believe in trying to be my best on a daily basis (no matter how cheesy that sounds!)

Posted 01 Jan 2012 at 7:27 pm
  3. Faith wrote:

Nicely put, Brigette. I can empathize with the hamster wheel of self recrimination that keeps us awake at night! We could all take a lesson from your resolve to be kinder to others (and to ourselves!)

Whenever we hear “Love thy neighbor as you do yourself”, I think we often forget that the commandment starts with assuming we love ourselves… :-)

Posted 01 Jan 2012 at 8:34 pm
  4. Foxfier wrote:

Since there’s nothing more to say on the real topic of the post… I’m rather skeptical of the notion that a third of the population is morbidly obese, only partly because two of my three uncles would’ve been classified as that back when they were so dense they couldn’t manage a dead-man’s float. (By the BMI, my “ideal weight” is also low enough that I’d be risking shutting down my, er, cycle, going of of slightly more accurate calculations of body fat.)

Really doesn’t help that obesity stats tend to be taken from the BMI formula that was implemented by the WHO to make it really easy to calculate, rather than any sort of scientific basis! (this one looks pretty good. Cool, I don’t have to write the whole rant….)

Posted 06 Jan 2012 at 5:47 pm
  5. Leonor wrote:

Terrific work! This is the kind of information that should be shared around the web.

Shame on the search engines for now not positioning this post upper!
    Come on over and talk over with my web site
    . Thanks =)

Posted 27 Apr 2013 at 12:26 pm
  6. Chaussure Nike Air wrote:

Please let me know if you’re looking for a writer for your weblog. You have some really great posts and I feel I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d really like to write
    some content for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine.
    Please send me an e-mail if interested. Kudos!

Posted 02 May 2013 at 12:24 pm
  7. Michael Kors Bags wrote:

A Tittle do well when the Giants 4-2 met the
    San Francisco 49ers vs michael kors outlet. They describe him as highly intoxicated at the time
    of the wave was able to finish the game, but the Saints netted only
    the one touchdown to show for it. After the 5-0 start and Super Bowl hero Tracy Porter have formed
    a great tandem of wide receivers the Giants have
    a second touchdown.

Posted 09 Aug 2013 at 4:01 am
  8. telecharger- wrote:

Having read this I believed it was very informative. I appreciate you spending some time
    and energy to put this short article together.
    I once again find myself personally spending way too much time
    both reading and posting comments. But so what, it was still
    worthwhile!

Posted 21 Apr 2014 at 10:07 am
  9. the sims freeplay wrote:

Hello i am kavin, its my first time to commenting anyplace, when i read this article i thought i could also create comment due
    to this sensible article.

Posted 13 May 2014 at 5:50 pm
  10. game of thrones wrote:

Today, I went to the beach with my kids. I found
    a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.” She put
    the shell to her ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab
    inside and it pinched her ear. She never wants to go back!
    LoL I know this is completely off topic but I had to
    tell someone!

Posted 18 May 2014 at 4:50 pm
  11. watch game of wrote:

Excellent items from you, man. I have take into accout
    your stuff prior to and you are just too fantastic.
    I really like what you’ve obtained here, certainly like what you are stating and the way through which you say it.
    You’re making it entertaining and you still care for to
    stay it wise. I cant wait to learn much more from you.
    This is really a wonderful site.

Posted 19 May 2014 at 11:37 pm
  12. Anonymous wrote:

?? ?? ?????. ??????? ??????? ???.
    ?????? ??? ? PM.

Posted 30 May 2014 at 7:31 am
  13. money lender wrote:

A promotion battle Hui press pack

Posted 16 Jul 2015 at 3:14 am

1. From Moralia - Happy New Year on 31 Dec 2013 at 11:34 pm

[…] years ago, on New Year’s Day 2012, I wrote this post.  The photo on the post was of a woman’s hand holding a champagne glass.  It wasn’t […]